ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

corrupt index (I think): how to fix?

<< < (5/7) > >>

tslim:
Windows 7 x64

So I just reinstalled Windows a couple of weeks ago.  One of my huge (3TB) external drives (connected esata) had some issues where I think the index got corrupted.  All the files are still there and I can move/copy them and do whatever I need to do.  But for some files, like a video file, I'll open it in the video player, but another file (an audio file) will start playing instead.  So instead of expecting to watch a astronomy documentary, I'll be listening to Wynonna Judd.  But the file is the video file in all the properties and everything, I don't get it.

So I figured I had a corrupt index.  I did a chkdsk twice, it found some stuff (not too sure what exactly), but the problem still remains.  Any clue how to deal with this?  Should I be worried and get rid of the drive?
-superboyac (June 20, 2012, 07:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Why don't you try copy the video file (the problem maker) to another location with a different name and try play the latter then tells us what happen?

I would like to add this:
Bad sector only prevent you from reading or writing a file, it won't play you a song... :)

Stoic Joker:
Here's another tip that will work out great for you:
When a PC has been transported (even over a small distance like 10 cm.) it is possible that (a) connector(s) got loose. Each and every time! I can't warn people enough about that. If I got 1000 USD for each time I solved a (hairy) situation with the solution above I could have stopped working for a living 5 years ago. People underestimate this problem in so many ways that it baffles me.-Shades (June 22, 2012, 01:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Move PC off desk.
Put PC back on desk
(Case flexes just enough to unseat video card)
Boot failure....

Yepper been there.  :D

superboyac:
Windows 7 x64

So I just reinstalled Windows a couple of weeks ago.  One of my huge (3TB) external drives (connected esata) had some issues where I think the index got corrupted.  All the files are still there and I can move/copy them and do whatever I need to do.  But for some files, like a video file, I'll open it in the video player, but another file (an audio file) will start playing instead.  So instead of expecting to watch a astronomy documentary, I'll be listening to Wynonna Judd.  But the file is the video file in all the properties and everything, I don't get it.

So I figured I had a corrupt index.  I did a chkdsk twice, it found some stuff (not too sure what exactly), but the problem still remains.  Any clue how to deal with this?  Should I be worried and get rid of the drive?
-superboyac (June 20, 2012, 07:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Why don't you try copy the video file (the problem maker) to another location with a different name and try play the latter then tells us what happen?

I would like to add this:
Bad sector only prevent you from reading or writing a file, it won't play you a song... :)

-tslim (June 22, 2012, 01:55 PM)
--- End quote ---
I did that.  The file won't play.  It might make the video player crash.  It gets copied over in a form that the video player doesn't recognize.  I guess it doesn't have the other music file that it's pointing to available, so the computer is just confused.

superboyac:
http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

Mediainfo: want to hear some shady shit??  Check this out:
-- go download the mediainfo installer
--start installing, agree to the terms by pressing the "agree" button
--you'll notice there's a slight pause, and your instinct is to hit the "agree" button again because it felt like the first click didn't take
--TRICKED!!  The next screen is the AVG toolbar installer, which you can decline BUT because of the pause, you will get tricked to accepting the installation.

Folks, this is intentional.  I got tricked about this last year with some other askjeeves toolbar or something.  They put that pause there on purpose, and they are total assholes for doing so.

4wd:
http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

Mediainfo: want to hear some shady shit??  Check this out:-superboyac (June 22, 2012, 03:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

MediaInfo Lite - "just the facts m'am"

Always look for the lite ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version