ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

corrupt index (I think): how to fix?

<< < (4/7) > >>

Target:
not sure how much time you want to spend on this, but if it was me I'd copy the files off, then run eraser over the drive, then (probably) reformat, and then check/test again...

barney:
not sure how much time you want to spend on this, but if it was me I'd copy the files off, then run eraser over the drive, then (probably) reformat, and then check/test again...

-Target (June 21, 2012, 09:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sound advice ... just don't rely upon chkdsk  ;). 

justice:
Bad clusters is a sign of problems; I've personally never seen so many. Don't store anything new on that drive, get all important information off that you still scan, don't know what the issue is - but do know you cannot trust anything on that drive. Personally I'd swap it and test it for a week see if the problem is just local to that drive you swapped out. If so bin it.

Shades:
I'm with Justice on the 'Bin it' part. Here's why.

One should never play with the internal power plugs while the PC is running! The same is true with the SATA plugs even when it says that drives are 'hot-swappable'. Because it is more than likely that the drive is 'hot-swappable', either the controller on your mother-board or your power-supply isn't.

If you note something is loose, turn your PC off (not standby, but off). Now it is time for loosening the connector completely and reconnecting it. Do the same for other connectors, you have the PC open now anyway. When done, close up the PC and put it back in its location. Any other way will f..k up perfectly good hardware for no other reason than your own laziness. If you really have that much cash to burn, take family/friends to a dinner in decent restaurant or give it to good cause...or me.

Here's another tip that will work out great for you:
When a PC has been transported (even over a small distance like 10 cm.) it is possible that (a) connector(s) got loose. Each and every time! I can't warn people enough about that. If I got 1000 USD for each time I solved a (hairy) situation with the solution above I could have stopped working for a living 5 years ago. People underestimate this problem in so many ways that it baffles me.

superboyac:
I'm with Justice on the 'Bin it' part. Here's why.

One should never play with the internal power plugs while the PC is running! The same is true with the SATA plugs even when it says that drives are 'hot-swappable'. Because it is more than likely that the drive is 'hot-swappable', either the controller on your mother-board or your power-supply isn't.

If you note something is loose, turn your PC off (not standby, but off). Now it is time for loosening the connector completely and reconnecting it. Do the same for other connectors, you have the PC open now anyway. When done, close up the PC and put it back in its location. Any other way will f..k up perfectly good hardware for no other reason than your own laziness. If you really have that much cash to burn, take family/friends to a dinner in decent restaurant or give it to good cause...or me.

Here's another tip that will work out great for you:
When a PC has been transported (even over a small distance like 10 cm.) it is possible that (a) connector(s) got loose. Each and every time! I can't warn people enough about that. If I got 1000 USD for each time I solved a (hairy) situation with the solution above I could have stopped working for a living 5 years ago. People underestimate this problem in so many ways that it baffles me.

-Shades (June 22, 2012, 01:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
You know Shades.  I think you're right, and I think that's exactly what happened.  I was moving that box every so often over a couple of years and didn't notice the power plug in the back loosening.  Then I pushed it back in without turning the computer off, and that's when some issues started.  It was strange because the granite digital plug is so tight, hard to imagine it getting loose...but gravity is a mysterious force!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version