ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

corrupt index (I think): how to fix?

(1/7) > >>

superboyac:
Windows 7 x64

So I just reinstalled Windows a couple of weeks ago.  One of my huge (3TB) external drives (connected esata) had some issues where I think the index got corrupted.  All the files are still there and I can move/copy them and do whatever I need to do.  But for some files, like a video file, I'll open it in the video player, but another file (an audio file) will start playing instead.  So instead of expecting to watch a astronomy documentary, I'll be listening to Wynonna Judd.  But the file is the video file in all the properties and everything, I don't get it.

So I figured I had a corrupt index.  I did a chkdsk twice, it found some stuff (not too sure what exactly), but the problem still remains.  Any clue how to deal with this?  Should I be worried and get rid of the drive?

40hz:
Sounds like you've got cross linked files where the allocation table index is pointing to the wrong physical data sectors. (Very bad if. And it can caused by a variety of things.)

Do you remember exactly what chkdsk reported?
 :o

IainB:
Nasty.
Not sure if this is of any use or if you have "been there/done that". I did a quick google (corrupted allocation table index NTFS -FAT) and found these for a start:
Repair-corrupt-master-file-table
Source: http://www.ehow.com/how_6585291_repair-corrupt-master-file-table.html
The master file table is a portion of new technology file systems (NTFS) that store information regarding all files and directories on a particular drive, making it a crucial part of your computer. Repairing a corrupt master file table is accomplished by using the disk repair tools in your operating system, a procedure that will take anywhere from 20 minutes to more than an hour depending on the state and speed of your hard drive and computer.

Instructions
* 1. Click "Start," "Programs" and open "Accessories."
* 2. Right-click "Command Prompt" and select "Run as Administrator."
* 3. Type "chkdsk x: /r" and press "Enter," replacing "x" with the letter of the drive containing the corrupt master file table.
* 4. Press "Y" to confirm the scan and repair.
* 5. Restart your computer. The PC will automatically scan the drive for errors at start-up, repairing errors that are found and repairing the master file table.
--- End quote ---

Rebuild-corrupt-master-file-table
Source: http://www.ehow.com/how_6524427_rebuild-corrupt-master-file-table.html
The Master File Table contains all data concerning the logical structure of information on a hard drive, including operating system locations, operating system boot options and the logical placement of all data on the drive. Due to any number of factors, this table can become corrupt through hard drive failure or malicious software. The Windows operating system provides a simple tool for rebuilding the Master File Table.

Instructions
* 1. Click the "Start" button located in the lower-left corner of the Windows desktop.
* 2. Type "chkdsk /f C:" in the text box next to the "Run" heading without quotes. Change the letter "C" if that is not the drive you are attempting to recover.
* 3. Click the "OK" button on the dialog box that appears to begin the recovery process. This launches the check disk utility that scans the entire drive for logical errors in an attempt to correct them. If the master file table is recoverable, it is fixed during this process. Depending on the size of the hard drive, this may take several minutes to several hours.
--- End quote ---

superboyac:
i believe I've already tried both methods indicated by IainB.  I think it found stuff both times, I just didn't catch what.  i don't think any bad sectors were found, though, i was keeping an eye on that one.

here's the log:
One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You
may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended
that you continue.
Windows will now check the disk.                        

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
  563712 file records processed.                                          File verification completed.
  8640 large file records processed.                                      0 bad file records processed.                                        0 EA records processed.                                              0 reparse records processed.                                       CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
  645710 index entries processed.                                         Index verification completed.
  0 unindexed files scanned.                                           0 unindexed files recovered.                                       CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
  563712 file SDs/SIDs processed.                                         Security descriptor verification completed.
  41000 data files processed.                                            CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
  35521720 USN bytes processed.                                             Usn Journal verification completed.
Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

2861458 MB total disk space.
   2755039 MB in 514017 files.
    228144 KB in 41001 indexes.
         0 KB in bad sectors.
    754295 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
 107991256 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
 732533503 total allocation units on disk.
  26997814 allocation units available on disk.
--- End quote ---

Stoic Joker:
Have you run the drive manufacturers diagnostic (usually a boot CD) on the disk to see what it finds/wants to fix?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version