ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

corrupt index (I think): how to fix?

<< < (6/7) > >>

IainB:
Well, it's a digression, but worth learning from nontheless:
http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

Mediainfo: want to hear some shady shit??  Check this out:
-- go download the mediainfo installer
......I got tricked about this last year with some other askjeeves toolbar or something.  They put that pause there on purpose, and they are total assholes for doing so. (see attachment in previous post)
-superboyac (June 22, 2012, 03:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, I noticed this sneaky underhanded attempt to get the AVG Toolbar installed, and nearly got caught too, after @4wd pointed me to use MediaInfo in another discussion thread:
Before investing any time in trying different editing software could you run MediaInfo over one of the files to see what it really is ?
-4wd (June 14, 2012, 09:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
Just did this. Here's a screenshot of the MediaInfo window. Is that enough? (see attachment in previous post)
-IainB (June 15, 2012, 11:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

I was very suspicious of MediaInfo after that. One of the really handy things about W7FC (Windows 7 Firewall Control) is that it always alerts and asks you what to do when a new proggy wants to communicate outwards. I just select "Disable" (block) all the stuff I hold as suspect or potentially suspect because unknown - e.g., including things I am merely trialling - as soon as it has installed. That's after it has got through various virus and MalwareBytes checks, of course.
As here, for example:

4wd:
... after @4wd pointed me to use MediaInfo in another discussion thread:-IainB (June 23, 2012, 12:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry  :-[

I tend to always look for the Lite version of things but never actually refer to them by name, eg. MediaInfo when I mean MediaInfo Lite.  That also extended to the laziness in which I just added a link to the main program site.......sorry again.

Plus I run UniExtract over installers to see if programs really need to be installed, so I miss a lot of the extra 'goodies' they put in installers.

IainB:
...Sorry  :-[
...Plus I run UniExtract over installers to see if programs really need to be installed, so I miss a lot of the extra 'goodies' they put in installers.
-4wd (June 23, 2012, 12:33 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks - no harm done. I thought you probably did not know about the extra payload. MediaInfo otherwise seemed to do its job, so it was a worthwhile exercise.
I must check out UniExtract. Thanks.

IainB:
We've strayed some way from "corrupt index" though - haven't we?

superboyac:
Hey everyone, good news!  Everything is fine now (as far as I can tell).  :Thmbsup: Thanks to everyone here!

I backed up everything I could on my spare 3TB drive.  That went fine.
Then I read that updating the Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers would fix my problem, and it sure seemed like it did!  So I installed the latest version of Intel RST.  Then, I ran chkdsk /r one more time and it looked like it recovered thousands upon thousands of orphan files and some other stuff.  Results are below:

I tried a couple of the problem files I remember, and everything is working flawlessly.  Doesn't seem like I had any bad sectors or anything like that.  I suspect a few things.  Like I said before, the power cable was loose at one point.  Then, I also reinstalled Windows 7 so maybe I didn't update all the drivers and stuff for the 3TB storage, which has different requirements than the smaller drives.  Also, at one point I was trying to recover some files from a mac drive for a friend, and the MacDrive software was extremely intrusive and probably caused some issues.  i don't recommend using macdrive or any virtual mac drivers, they are awful.  I've done it three times now and it has never been smooth.  I'd avoid at all costs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version