ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

LastPass Finally Showing Its Revenue Plans? Credit Monitoring? Bah...

(1/3) > >>

J-Mac:
Here we go. I've been a "Premium" subscriber to LastPass almost from the start but it looks like I will now be hunting for another password manager very soon. After I opened Firefox this morning a page opened announcing that LastPass had been updated and was now also offering..... credit monitoring?! WTF!

First of all, IMO credit monitoring is a huge fraud itself. It doesn’t really protect people at all; it just funnels even more money to the organizations that cause a lot of the credit fraud in the first place: the credit reporting companies. Credit monitoring alerts you AFTER someone has fraudulently opened an account in your name. What it does not do is prevent it in the first place. And in many cases the fraud perpetrator used information garnered from that same credit reporting company you're paying for the monitoring service. What a racket! These are the same companies that sell you a peek at your credit report for $10 - $12 but sell that same report to corporations for about $0.20! Yeah, I trust them almost as much as that Nigerian guy who has $11,438,00 waiting for me as soon as I send him my bank account number.

Why the hell does LastPass think I would want them to push credit monitoring on me? This is apparently part of their plan to extract some more of my money from me. Makes me wonder what's next... a "free" coupon printer from Coupons.com?

I wish Keepass had a viable password filler function. OK, so who wants to start recommending good password managers to me? Oh no... does this mean I will shortly be crawling back to Siber Systems? I think I am going to throw up... 

Jim

40hz:
Suggestion: Use Keypass and save a synced copy of your encrypted database to a Dropbox account if it needs to be completely accessible from anywhere on any machine. (Can't imagine why since that introduces its own security risks, but there are people who insist that's important to them.) Or, alternatively, store it exclusively there. Put it in a Truecrypt container under Dropbox if you're exceptionally paranoid.
 8)

J-Mac:
Thanks 40hz.

Not exceptionally paranoid yet - but it feels like I'm working on it!

BTW, I've considered that but I do have some trepidation about Dropbox - they really do seem more geared toward sharing and not so much on privacy/security. Also. I'd have to go to copy/paste I think; Keepass doesn’t do form-filling well. At least it didn't the last time I tried it. Maybe they've gotten better.

One more thing I need to do - get all the logins I have added recently to LP and get them into Keepass. I initially made sure they were identical but adding stuff on the fly to LP was easy; replicating that same info to Keepass not as easy. I know there's stuff that never made it into KP.  :( Whatever I do I think it will be a lot of manual entry.    :'(

Thanks again!

Jim

40hz:
Thanks 40hz.

Not exceptionally paranoid yet - but it feels like I'm working on it!

BTW, I've considered that but I do have some trepidation about Dropbox - they really do seem more geared toward sharing and not so much on privacy/security. Also. I'd have to go to copy/paste I think; Keepass doesn’t do form-filling well. At least it didn't the last time I tried it. Maybe they've gotten better.

One more thing I need to do - get all the logins I have added recently to LP and get them into Keepass. I initially made sure they were identical but adding stuff on the fly to LP was easy; replicating that same info to Keepass not as easy. I know there's stuff that never made it into KP.  :( Whatever I do I think it will be a lot of manual entry.    :'(

Thanks again!

Jim
-J-Mac (June 19, 2012, 12:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's a hassle. But I eventually bit the bullet and did it. More out of simple cussedness than necessity perhaps, but I admit I have (possibly unjustified) trust issues with online password stores.

Form fill is a buggy experience with KeyPass to be sure. I've mostly given up on using it, but that's the price I pay for refusing to deal with something like LastPass. So be it.

Dropbox doesn't share if you don't tell it to. They're even dropping the default supplied Public folder for a much more restrictive and formal file sharing process for all new accounts.

FWIW, I only sync my heavily encrypted pwl-database to Dropbox. I run it off a USB key in portable mode for day  to day use. This is my security key so it also uses Truecrypt to keep everything well hid should I ever lose it. I debated installing some sort of autodestruct mechanism on it but decided it was more effort than it was worth since I commit any of my really important passwords (bank account, Amex, etc.) to memory anyway. Not hard if you follow this suggestion courtesy of "Randall" over at xkcd - and which has been previously posted in different threads here at DoCo:

LastPass Finally Showing Its Revenue Plans? Credit Monitoring? Bah...

Luck! :Thmbsup:

wraith808:
I use 1Password and have been very happy with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version