ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Microsoft's New Surface Tablet Hybrid

<< < (4/5) > >>

nosh:

[ source ]

Assuming the specs above are reliable... widescreen form factor (not ideal for a portable device, IMO), much lower resolution, much lower battery life (or only slightly lower in the much thicker/heavier model). The biggest thing going for it -> it (hopefully) comes sans Apple douchery.

I am not excite. :(
(Off to console myself with my Zune...)

Renegade:
Just sat through the full 47 minute video. Looks like a winner to me. Makes the iPad look like the obese iPod it has always been. I really, really can't wait to swap my iPad for a "Surface" now I've seen that it's a PC crammed into a tablet.
-nudone (June 19, 2012, 12:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

That I like. I want the full power of a desktop in a tablet that I can take around. Imagine just taking EVERYTHING around and plugging in a real keyboard and a real monitor and a real mouse. Bang. Done. With a real OS? Yeah... sexy stuff~! :)

Wonder how the keyboard feels, when typing some forum reply or other message :tellme:
-Ath (June 19, 2012, 01:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

The keyboard for my Samsung Galaxy Tab is about the same size, and it's manageable, barely... They're almost the same size as those Apple iMac keyboards... So if you like those, you'd like it. If you hate the iMac keyboard, well, then the keyboard there will also suck, but considering it's for a tablet, there is some kind of excuse.

Keep in mind that I use a full 106-key keyboard and like it. And I'm horribly predisposed to hating/loathing small form factor inputs. You know those tiny mice? Hate 'em. Won't use 'em. Would rather take a hammer to them. Amazes me that adults can actually use them when they seem like they'd be comfortable to use for a 7-year old.

I am an input factor bigot. :(

Daleus:
I like the idea of this thing - I look forward to finding 5 spare minutes between now and eternity to watch the video.

I have only two concerns:

1. The Windows Metro interface - I loath it. Just that simple
2. Apple-like douche-baggery

I can alway mod that crap Metro interface away, so this is a minor concern

However, if MS plays the same sort of nonsense games with an App Store, like Apple does, then there is no reason to buy this thing.

In fact, when I first heard the announcement I thought to myself that MS was finally going to give us a tablet we could use in the ways that Apple won't let us.  I've even read a couple of blog posts by Apple fanbois that sort of run along the same line.

If MS *does* institute an App Store only approach, then they can go kiss Apple's fat red hairy butt because they're just offering another Apple competitor rather than any sort of innovation.

Give me something that's NOT that damned iPad.

40hz:
That I like. I want the full power of a desktop in a tablet that I can take around. Imagine just taking EVERYTHING around and plugging in a real keyboard and a real monitor and a real mouse. Bang. Done. With a real OS? Yeah... sexy stuff~! smiley
-Renegade (June 20, 2012, 01:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you're going to plug a monitor, mouse, and keyboard into it anyway you can already get that. Just buy one of those micro-footprint PCs. There's about six companies making them.

Dare I say it? They even run Linux! ;D

40hz:
If MS *does* institute an App Store only approach, then they can go kiss Apple's fat red hairy butt because they're just offering another Apple competitor rather than any sort of innovation.

Give me something that's NOT that damned iPad.
-Daleus (June 20, 2012, 06:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

Agree 100% That would be the deal breaker for me too. But probably not for John Q. Public if the success of the iOS platform is anything to go by.

If successful, I really do believe Surface will one day be seen as the turning point for large-scale public migration away from 'open' PC platforms. We'll have stuck our tongue on the flagpole with this one.
 :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version