ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Microsoft's New Surface Tablet Hybrid

<< < (3/5) > >>

Ath:
Wonder how the keyboard feels, when typing some forum reply or other message :tellme:

Mark0:
I was expecting some sort of silly / stupid me-too copycat thing, instead the Surface thing really surprised me.
The x86 version and the touch cover seems very interesting.

xtabber:
The x86 tablet looks interesting as an alternative to ultrabooks and the like, but it won't actually be available until early 2013, by which time there should be some serious competition around.  The RT (ARM-based) version doesn't seem to offer any advantages over existing tablets, and many drawbacks.

One thing to be wary about is that it would appear that the aspect of the Apple iOS environment that Microsoft is most interested in emulating is the closed apps marketplace.  Footnote #1 at the bottom of Microsoft's own Surface page, indicates in tiny type that it "Works exclusively with apps from the Windows Store."

zridling:
ASUS has made "business tablets" for a couple of years, which is nothing more than a ultrabook without a keyboard but with several USB ports. But more hardware like this is always welcome since it will spur competition. Chris  has more on

What Microsoft Didn’t Tell Us About the New Surface Tablets
Ryan Pierson
http://www.lockergnome.com/windows/2012/06/19/what-microsoft-didnt-tell-us-about-new-surface-tablets/#uuRAUl5kOLAPyGCo.30

Mark0:
The RT version does also make little sense to me, now, because the first Android smartphones with x86 CPUs already surfaced, and proved to be decent from a performance / battery life point of view. So what's the point of Windows on a different architecture, at this point?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version