ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Checking Bad sector in HDD and ExtHDD

<< < (2/5) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Whether or not you can find a program to mark existing bad sectors, that does not matter. My very sincere advice is: Do not attempt to continue using a HDD once you find it start developing bad sector. Just grabs everything on it ASAP while you still can (So far, Norton Ghost is the best in claiming the most out of a bad HDD)-tslim (June 20, 2012, 09:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 - Courting an undead/zombie drive is just too risky.

4wd:
Whether or not you can find a program to mark existing bad sectors, that does not matter. My very sincere advice is: Do not attempt to continue using a HDD once you find it start developing bad sector.-tslim (June 20, 2012, 09:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

While I'm not seeking an argument or trying to get overly pedantic, I think this comes down to what you are going to use the drive for and whether or not you're prepared to wear the consequences.

I have a 1TB drive that developed, as it happened, software bad blocks - I LLF'd it and it's been happily running with constant use every day without any further errors for the last 2 years - well past even the 1 year warranty they provide.

Be that as it may, it carries no data that I'm not prepared to lose and none of it is backed up....but then I have a fatalistic approach to computers, "Shit happens, get over it."

Of course, if the drive in question is your only source of backups or that you deem your data is your life then what you and SJ have said x 2.

The fact that manufacturers provide spare blocks shows that they expect there to be sector failures over the life of the drive - it's whether or not the number of those is excessive, in what circumstances, (time frame), they occurred and the life of the drive that would be of more interest to me in determining whether or not the drive is still suitable for my purposes.

One sector fail does automatically consign the drive to the dustbin in my circumstances - hell, you only have to look at the screen grab above and this one* to see that :)

All the OP wanted was a way to mark the sector as bad, to me that shows willingness to continue using the drive, beyond that...

* Yes, both those drives are still happily working.

yksyks:
I had repeatedly excellent experiences with the DRevitalize. I successfully managed to recover several HDs that were already trashed, and they still serve well since then. This all without any data loss. After using those undelete programs it's probably too late, though. Anyway, you can try it, even the demo works well (you just have to wait a bit).

hulkbuster:
I had repeatedly excellent experiences with the DRevitalize. I successfully managed to recover several HDs that were already trashed, and they still serve well since then. This all without any data loss. After using those undelete programs it's probably too late, though. Anyway, you can try it, even the demo works well (you just have to wait a bit).
-yksyks (June 20, 2012, 10:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thank you all for your post,i took a long time to understand all the info, any way thank you yksyks: DRevitalize did it for , it found a single sector and went to repair it, check the snapshot, later i will try by Active Hard Disk Monitor to find that  bad sector is gone or not.

Checking Bad sector in HDD and ExtHDD

Just making sure that it not a fake output by DRevitalize: but all in all this little tool did what i wanted and it ran in Demo version.
It took almost 3frs just to scan a 320 GB EXT HDD, their were a lot of data their, i'll not lie it did fell to the ground and had few band here and their , may be that to contrbuted to bad sectors. Cause my PC 320 WD HDD doen't  have a single bad sector.

But thank you again for showing your interest and time to this post, thank you again " Donation Coder"   rocks.

:D :D :D

Stoic Joker:
While I'm not seeking an argument or trying to get overly pedantic, I think this comes down to what you are going to use the drive for and whether or not you're prepared to wear the consequences.-4wd (June 20, 2012, 08:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Understood (as true), I'm just erroring on the side of caution. It's a (reflex/) side effect of primarily dealing with business systems where everything is hyper critical.

:D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version