ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Chrome permits bad websites to send spam from one's email account???

(1/3) > >>

cyberdiva:
Hi, all.  I'm trying to get more information about something I've just been told about Google Chrome.  Yesterday, I received a spam message from someone I know.  I assumed that her email account had been hacked, and I wrote to her to let her know.  Today, I received a reply from her, saying that "Actually, there is some kind of security gap in Google Chrome that allows a bad website to send out spam from my account."  I'm highly skeptical of this explanation.  I'd imagine that 1) if there were so serious a flaw in Chrome, there would have been mention of it in lots of places that I read, and 2) Google would have quickly found a way to fix it.  I don't use Chrome, but if I did, I'd drop it like a hot potato if it had such a flaw.   Has anyone here heard of or experienced this flaw?

Jibz:
Yesterday, I received a spam message from someone I know.
-cyberdiva (June 18, 2012, 08:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just for the record, when you say "from", do you mean you checked the headers and it looked like it was a message genuinely sent from her account, or just that the "From:" field in the e-mail contained her e-mail address?

cyberdiva:
Just for the record, when you say "from", do you mean you checked the headers and it looked like it was a message genuinely sent from her account, or just that the "From:" field in the e-mail contained her e-mail address?
-Jibz (June 18, 2012, 08:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
Good question, Jibz.  The message was such obvious spam that I didn't bother to check the headers.  I simply assumed that someone had hacked her MSN email account and was now sending spam to everyone in her addressbook.  I wrote to let her know, and in response I got the explanation I quoted in my original message here.  It didn't seem like a likely explanation, so I thought I'd post a message here and see whether anyone has heard of a similar "problem" with Chrome.  But now that you've asked, I looked at the headers.  There weren't a lot, especially before the message was received at my university (where I have the email account to which the message was sent).  Here are some key pieces of info from the headers (I've changed the name of the person I know to janedoe and my university's address to ********.edu):

The return path header was Return-Path: <[email protected]>

The headers from the start to when it got to my university were as follows:
Received: from snt0-omc4-s11.snt0.hotmail.com (snt0-omc4-s11.snt0.hotmail.com [65.55.90.214])
   by ********.edu (mx3.********.edu) with ESMTP id q5I2vdq7025380
   for <cyberdiva@********.edu>; Sun, 17 Jun 2012 22:57:41 -0400 (EDT)
Received: from SNT102-W47 ([65.55.90.201]) by snt0-omc4-s11.snt0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.4675);
    Sun, 17 Jun 2012 19:57:38 -0700
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
   boundary="_cea715e6-4a2e-4c6d-9814-454a114fd041_"
X-Originating-IP: [189.224.78.19]

If the Originating IP # is not forged, it's in Mexico.  I don't know where this person lives (I "know" her only via listservs we're both on); I kinda doubt she's in Mexico, though it's not impossible.  The message-ID ends in @phx.gbl, which is apparently something that appears in many messages from Microsoft-related mail.  Since she's got an account at msn.com, I guess that makes sense.  Perhaps so too does the appearance of hotmail.com in one of the headers, I don't know.  All the unshown headers after these (leading up to the Return-Path header) look normal.  They're all internal to my university.

So no, it's not just the "From" field that makes me think it came from her account, but the Originating-IP in Mexico does give me pause.  I'm not sure, however, whether the headers indicate clearly whether her email account was simply hacked or whether somehow a "bad website" was able to send spam from her account (her explanation).  Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

nudone:
I'd go with Hotmail hacked. It's happened to me, same kind of thing, everyone in my Hotmail contacts started receiving spam saying it was from me.

Jibz:
I'd go with Hotmail hacked. It's happened to me, same kind of thing, everyone in my Hotmail contacts started receiving spam saying it was from me.
-nudone (June 18, 2012, 11:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, the headers look fairly believable, and if there was some security hole that would allow this in any browser, I am sure it would be widely publicized.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version