ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best Music Service

tech crunch article comparing music services

<< < (16/18) > >>

nudone:
"The organisation asked Russian authorities to take action against the download site, citing breach of copyright, in February 2005.

But Moscow prosecutors decided not to pursue the case because Russian copyright laws do not cover digital media, reported the news agency Tass." from the link i provided http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5061610.stm

allofmp3.com keeps trading on a technicality. if 'digital media' was part of copyright laws in Russia then that would be the end of them - or, maybe they'd get off on another technicality.

does anyone believe that allofmp3.com methods of business would work in they were based in a country with more up to date copywrite laws? doesn't that indicate there is something dodgy going on?

i'm not defending the people that run the music industry. i really don't care if 'digital media' is paid for or not.

i just cannot understand why anyone bothers to pay allofmp3.com at all when there are alternatives. just get on with it and download it from a peer 2 peer program - or borrow it from your local library. steal it from a friend - it's none of my concern.

but, why justify allofmp3.com, does anyone believe the royalties are passed on - the company has said themselves that they are in negotiation with artists to sort things out - why bother doing that if everything is sweet already.

i wouldn't doubt that there are plenty of dodgy things already going on in the music industry but how does using allofmp3.com make that any better?

Carol Haynes:
but, why justify allofmp3.com, does anyone believe the royalties are passed on - the company has said themselves that they are in negotiation with artists to sort things out - why bother doing that if everything is sweet already.
--- End quote ---

The two Russian copyright bodies have confirmed that they do pay royalties. The reason they are changing what they do is because a new copyright law is coming into force in September and they have stated they want to comply by the new regulations.

nudone:
quote from BPI General Counsel Roz Groome: "AllofMP3.com’s claims to be legal are false … Neither artists nor record companies receive any payment from the site." taken from http://www.out-law.com/page-6985

i won't post any other quotes as you'll easily be able to counter it with quotes from the same article.

i look forward to when it's absolutely certain that allofmp3.com are paying the artists and not just paying a token amount to ROMS.

Carol Haynes:
Sorry nudone - but that was the point - could you honestly expect BPI to say anything else? They are trying to take them to court and this is their stance on the issue. It doesn't mean they are necessarily correct - and I still can't see how a British company can take Russians to court in the UK for something that doesn't appear to be illegal in Russia?

JavaJones:
So, if I'm understanding you right, you wouldn't have any problem if AllOfMP3.com were free? In other words if people weren't "paying criminals" but just taking stuff from them for free? :D

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version