ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best Music Service

tech crunch article comparing music services

<< < (5/18) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I love Janis Ian's music (for those of you who are too young to remember she was prominent in the 60s and 70s with Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell and Co.. and I am going to see her next week in concert (I've waited for a long time for her to leave the US and do a European tour) so that will be great.

Anyway the point of this is that she wrote an article some time ago about "The Internet Debacle" (it is available as a PDF here) which sheds some interesting light on internet downloading from the point of view of the artist. I can agree that as a result of downloading some her songs for free I have gone back to her website and bought a number of albums - and she gets the money. Seems like a really good model to me.

Hirudin:
That article was a very good read!

Makes my ramblings seem almost coheirent.

brotherS:
i think i will fire off a few emails to the artists that are available to download by the service and see what their views are (hopefully some spokesperson will reply from the labels). that's about the only way i'll put my conscience to rest on this matter.
-nudone (April 10, 2006, 02:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks, I'm looking forward to the result!

slave138:
thanks, tsaint and Carol, for the links explaining the royalties question. i'm not going to become an investigative journalist to see just exactly how things are done in Russia. maybe receiving comparatively low royalties (in dollars per track) is favourable by the artists/labels rather than receiving nothing at all.

i think i will fire off a few emails to the artists that are available to download by the service and see what their views are (hopefully some spokesperson will reply from the labels). that's about the only way i'll put my conscience to rest on this matter.
-nudone (April 10, 2006, 02:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

While you're at it, why don't you ask them how they feel about used CD stores?  At least with the Russian sites they are getting something in payment but they don't get a cent if you buy a used CD. 

Where's Lars Ulrich's tears about how fans are stealing money out of his pockets when they buy that used copy of "Master of Puppets" from the local Disc-Go-Round?  When it comes to purchasing used CDs they are actually losing money from someone who is willing to pay for a disc - with downloads that isn't always the case.

nudone:
good point, slave138. i'll resend the emails (no reply as yet). i'l make it a minor point to ask about used CD stores as this kind of sale has been going on for years so i suspect it isn't of major concern - i would also expect that the volume of downloads for an album far exceeds the number sold from used CD stores.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version