ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best Music Service

tech crunch article comparing music services

<< < (2/18) > >>

nudone:
i was just looking at this 'allofmp3' thing as it sounded so good. can't argue with the price can you. and, i will now admit, i'm a bit slow on the uptake of this itunes malarkey but i will have to repeat what has been said many other places online...

how legal is 'allofmp3'. yes, i've read the articles online that say it's technically legal (though this is also disputed) but what i find more interesting is whether the artists are receiving any royalties from 'allofmp3' sales/downloads.

if the artists aren't being rewarded then this system still equates to theft as far as i can see. if the artists aren't being rewarded from 'allofmp3' then i don't quite understand why people are using the service - just load up a torrent program or emule and download all your music that way - the artists won't see any reward from that either.

i feel i'm sticking my neck out here but just paying all 'allofmp3' so that it all seems legit seems immoral to me. aren't the artists meant to be rewarded and isn't that something DC members favour?

please correct me if i've jumped the gun. i just couldn't find anything stating that the artists aren't being ripped off.

Carol Haynes:
In accordance to the licenses' terms MediaServices pays license fees for all materials downloaded from the site subject to the Law of the Russian Federation "On Copyright and Related Rights". All these materials are solely for personal use.
--- End quote ---

First paragraph on the legal info page of AllOfMp3. Quite what this means is unclear (not knowing Russian law) but I assume if they are paying license fees than royalties must be paid somewhere.

nudone:
well, i certainly can't argue with that. whatever it actually means.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allofmp3 was interesting i thought. in that it states that 'allofmp3' considers itself the same as a radio station so pays the same license fee (how true this is, who knows, it's on the net). i wouldn't be too surprised if such a license is a lot less that what they would be paying if they considered themselves a 'download' service and not a 'radio' service. so, technically it's all legal (or is it) but i sense someone isn't getting their full payment.

i suppose the only real question is whether any of the artists that are on the site for download actually object to being there. i'd email some of them and ask but i doubt i'd get a reply.

Hirudin:
The problem is that AllofMP3 operates under a different set of rules (Russian copyright law) than the rest of the companies. The service has been around for years and has many loyal users; however, its continued existence is in question. Some people have ethical concerns with using the service since no money makes its way back to the artists or labels.-TechCrunch
--- End quote ---

More AllofMP3 discussion

nudone:
thanks, Hirudin.

so i have to ask, if the artists/labels aren't getting any money from the 'allofmp3' service why exactly are people using it at all and not just using things like emule. or is it more a case of not wanting to run the risk of being caught downloading illegal files rather than the rights or wrongs of artists receiving royalties? i think i know the answer to that one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version