Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site December 19, 2014, 11:30:33 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Your Support Funds this Site: View the Supporter Yearbook.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: It Pays To Read License Agreements (7 Years Later)  (Read 1275 times)
Stephen66515
Animated Giffer in Chief
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: June 17, 2012, 12:58:50 PM »

Back in 2005, one lucky PC Pitstop customer won $1,000 by simply reading our End-User License Agreement (EULA) We temporarily added a clause to our EULA offering money to anyone who contacted us, but it took five months and more than 3,000 sales before the first person – dropped us a line asking about the clause.

7 years later — our experiment continues to garner attention in articles detailing the dangers of unread EULAs.

Read More: http://techtalk.pcpitstop...-later/?eula-7yearslater=

No trees were harmed during the creation of this message.  Millions of electrons, however, were terribly inconvenienced

"Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the things you can think up if only you try!" - Dr. Seuss
barney
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 03:28:29 PM »

Hm-m-m ... I've seen that discussion a few different places.  The automatic assumption is that if no one applied for the largess, no one read the EULA.  That is a false assumption.  I've run across a few of those in the past.  Not all monetary, but promising some supposedly tempting reward if ya responded.  It was never worth my time to respond.

Hey, you'll give me a thousand bucks if I tell you I read your EULA?  Yeah.  Right!  I believe that, I really do  ohmy.  And I'm gonna jump right on it.  As soon as I have time.  Maybe next decade.

Gambling on human greed is supposed to be a safe bet, but experience dictates that we're not all as greedy as the gamblers would, or would have us, believe.  Between a [personally observed] diminution of that greed level, an ignored degree of disbelief, and a convenience/inconvenience/time element, I cannot buy this particular methodology as a valid test.  Too many unknown - unknowable, in fact - variables.  The assumptions made are statistically unwarranted based upon the test performed.  All it's good for is an argument in a bar somewhere  beerchug.

Make a good day ... barn
TaoPhoenix
Supporting Member

0 - 60 ... then back to 0 again!

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 05:23:33 PM »

I dunno, if it flatly said "read this and earn $1000" I'd do it. I'm the kind of guy who reads the introductions to books and sometimes doesn't even read the book.

One problem is that there are a lot of materials out there that read "for a chance to win $1000", and THAT is not worth the time.
Cloq
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 07:15:30 PM »

One problem is that there are a lot of materials out there that read "for a chance to win $1000", and THAT is not worth the time.

*ahem* May I interest you with an email that may contain the winning number for the UK lottery for 10,000,000 Euro!? Surely the email would be worth the time... you may already be a winner!

cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.03s | Server load: 0.09 ]