ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

From ZDnet writer - Final Thoughts on Windows 8: A Design Disaster

<< < (5/5)

nudone:
This does not look like a disaster to me: http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/default.aspx
-Stoic Joker (June 19, 2012, 06:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oooh. It all makes sense now. A decent iPad killer. Sign me up.

40hz:
This does not look like a disaster to me: http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/default.aspx
-Stoic Joker (June 19, 2012, 06:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oooh. It all makes sense now. A decent iPad killer. Sign me up.
-nudone (June 19, 2012, 07:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

More like an iPad and MacBook Air one-two knockout punch if it lives up to what's written on the tin.

This in from OSNews (full article link here.)

Microsoft unveils its own tablet: Surface
posted by Thom Holwerda on Tue 19th Jun 2012 00:10 UTC

IconSo, the Microsoft announcement - taking place as I write this, 01:45 in my timezone - turns out to be a bigger deal than expected. Microsoft just announced it's going full-on hardware - the company announced a new tablet called 'Surface', and boy, is this thing something to behold. Microsoft's hardware partners? They're not happy right now. Update: Here's Microsoft's official Surface site. I believe someone coined the phrase 'sexy as a succubus' in the comments about Vizio? Stealin' it! Update II: They aren't just taking the iPad head-on - this is a straight-up MacBook Air competitor.

Microsoft Surface is a tablet built out of PVD magnesium, with a 10.6" Gorilla Glass display. It's pretty thin (9.3mm), looks downright gorgeous, and has 'want' written all over it. There's an ARM Windows 8 RT version, and, for those of us interested in the existing software base, there's also a thicker Intel version, as powerful as any recently announced ultrabook. The Intel version will also have higher storage capacities, and digital ink and stylus support. Basically, ARM is Home, Intel is Pro.
--- End quote ---

IF this thing turns out to be half as good as it looks, I know I'll eventually end up owning one regardless of how I feel about where Microsoft is taking Windows. The fact they will be offering two keyboard cover options (3mm multitouch and 5mm tactile!!!) would be enough to make it a "tipping point" feature for me.

Bloody! I soooo HATE IT when I know they've got me... >:(

Microsoft is becoming what cigarettes used to be for me. Something regularly used despite knowing what they can ultimately do to you.

:-\

mouser:
Let's move the new MS tablet discussion to this thread.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version