ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

DropBox to drop support for Public folder (no more direct links)

<< < (3/3)

wraith808:
If you actually tried to create a link from any file outside the public folder, you will find that yes you can create a link to the file, but it will load the dropbox webpage including a download button to the actual file.
-justice (June 18, 2012, 12:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

In my experience, that's not true.  Don't know if they only do it under certain circumstances, but I've linked to stuff outside of my public folder for download and it's always directly downloaded the file.  I've shared PDFs and music files that way.

cmpm:
Dropbox restarts sharing. According to my email.
I already have the sharing via public folder, but I put this to use anyway.

DropBox to drop support for Public folder (no more direct links)

The link-

https://www.dropbox.com/links/features

DropBox can stream media.
Tried it with a movie to my Android.
And it does work.

wraith808:
That's been there.  You click the link chain beside a folder/file and it shares.  Maybe they're just doing an increased promotion of it.

cmpm:
Yes you are correct, my mistake.

cmpm:
So they did away with the direct link.
I get it. Must have been on drugs. :)

So from my public folders the link plays the movie immediately without any Dropbox text.
It just opens and plays.

The other folders, using the share link, will show the dropbox logo and a download link.
And it will play by hitting the play button. But it does not fill the page and keeps the dropbox text at the top of the web page along with a download link.

Is that the main difference?

Tested using a browser that does not know my dropbox account info.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version