ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

World's first 'tax' on Microsoft's Internet Explorer 7

<< < (2/5) > >>

Renegade:
Sigh... The browser warz...
Meh...Fact is, it all depends on what you want to do.

If you want to do stupidly CPU intensive crazy stuff, then IE is your friend. While people may hate them, BHOs and ActiveX let you do things that JavaScript plugins just don't.

For plain surfing...

Webkit is great, but Chrome spies on you.

Opera is the innovator, but flip-flops around between being uber-awesome and broken.

Etc. etc.

But IE7? Sheesh... It's not much better than 6.

Personally, I loathe programming for IE at all. It's the last thing I look at.

TaoPhoenix:
If they can get away with it without tanking sales, this is possibly the endgame of the browser wars. We went from "optimized for Internet Explorer (custom nonstandard crap)" to "charging a service fee to use IE" (as a market driven punishment for that custom nonstandard crap). Conceptually I think that's kinda neat.

justice:
Very arrogant, interesting way to say fuck you to potential customers. Nothing wrong with a regular message or graceful degredation?

jgpaiva:
Actually, according to this, the company didn't go forward with the tax.

@Renegade: I think this is not exactly a browser war since here the problem is not from an end-user point of view, but from a web-developer point of view. While I've never done web developing, I'm pretty sure that it would annoy the hell out of me to be fixing idiotic bugs for specific browsers only because they decided not to respect the standards!

Stoic Joker:
I don't mind a bit of IE7 bashing ... But when they imply that Safari is a "better browser" ...(Seriously??)... Credibility=0.
-Stoic Joker (June 14, 2012, 04:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
I've never done web developing, but my notion was that from a web developer's point of view, safari is similar to chrome (i.e. another webkit based browser) and hence respects many more web standards than ie does?
-jgpaiva (June 15, 2012, 09:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Understood, but last time I checked (which granted was a year or so ago) Safari on Windows supported all of the standards/HTML5 stuff ... While Safari on a Mac only supported about 10% of the HTML5 stuff. Which tells me that Apple is/was too chicken shit to dogfood their own product. Add to that their abysmal security history and Safari=pariah as far as I'm concerned.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version