ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

World's first 'tax' on Microsoft's Internet Explorer 7

(1/5) > >>

KynloStephen66515:

The Australian online retailer Kogan.com has introduced the world's first "tax" on Microsoft's Internet Explorer 7 (IE7) browser.

Customers who use IE7 will have to pay an extra surcharge on online purchases made through the firm's site.

Chief executive Ruslan Kogan told the BBC he wanted to recoup the time and costs involved in "rendering the website into a antique browser".

The charge is set to 6.8% - 0.1% for every month since the IE7 launch.
--- End quote ---

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18440979

Hahhahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Renegade:
That is just 31 flavours of awesomeness~! ;D

IainB:
I read about this too. We covered the subject/issue (the difficulty in maintaining a website to support IE's peculiarities) in this thread: What purpose does browser-specific blocking serve?, and it was apparently a real issue for some developers, but this overhead/"tax" seems like quite a novel idea.
I think it is incorrect to call it a "tax" though, because only the State can engage in legal extortion - that's a tax.

Stoic Joker:
I don't mind a bit of IE7 bashing ... But when they imply that Safari is a "better browser" ...(Seriously??)... Credibility=0.

jgpaiva:
I don't mind a bit of IE7 bashing ... But when they imply that Safari is a "better browser" ...(Seriously??)... Credibility=0.
-Stoic Joker (June 14, 2012, 04:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
I've never done web developing, but my notion was that from a web developer's point of view, safari is similar to chrome (i.e. another webkit based browser) and hence respects many more web standards than ie does?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version