ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Raspberry Pi's $35 Linux PC

<< < (5/31) > >>

Carol Haynes:
96 core array sounds like fun ;-)

Anyone remember OCCAM (programming language) - sounds like it might be useful again!

Now all we need is some Linux software to take advantage of that amount of horsepower!

wraith808:
Things have changed a lot since 1975. And one of the most notable changes is that the former 'rebels' are now doing their damnedest to become our new overlords.
-40hz (June 19, 2012, 08:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ummm... Apple was doing the same thing back then, i.e. Franklin Ace, Laser, and other clones.  They did it again in the 90s.  This is just part for the course for them... they never were truly rebels.

40hz:
Anyone remember OCCAM (programming language) - sounds like it might be useful again!-Carol Haynes (June 21, 2012, 10:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

I do,I do!!!!

Nicholas Wirth's magnum opus. I never got my head completely around it. Probably because I can't walk and chew gum at the same time. Modula-2 and Modula-3 are another story. I still thought that Modula was one of the finest general programming languages ever created. And the only one (other than FORTH) I was ever really comfortable using now that I think about it.

Now all we need is some Linux software to take advantage of that amount of horsepower!

--- End quote ---

There's quite a bit actually. A lot of Blender and other enthusiasts have built their own personal render farms for ray tracing, CGI, and 3D modeling. In the professional world it's a given to own a render farm. A Google search will spot you plenty of choices. One of my clients uses a commercial package called Deadline running under CentOS to handle their rendering admin, mainly because it has out-of-box support for over 20 of the big 3D apps such as Maya, Blender, 3ds MAX, etc. You can get a free 2-node copy here if you're curious or have an immediate use for this sort of thing. (I certainly don't. <*grin*> ) Deadline gets a little expensive once you go beyond that however. There's also equivalent freebies and other open source packages (and how-tos) out there if you look for them.

8)

40hz:
Things have changed a lot since 1975. And one of the most notable changes is that the former 'rebels' are now doing their damnedest to become our new overlords.
-40hz (June 19, 2012, 08:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ummm... Apple was doing the same thing back then, i.e. Franklin Ace, Laser, and other clones.  They did it again in the 90s.  This is just part for the course for them... they never were truly rebels.
-wraith808 (June 21, 2012, 11:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Excellent point although that was primarily Apple busting down on the clones for duplicating their ROM chips. Not reverse engineering (at least at first) either. They were reading out the chips and then reburning them IIRC. But Apple has gone way beyond that with their current legal arguments because they're now claiming ownership of paradigms and raw concepts - most of which weren't their inventions or discoveries to begin with.

And true, also that Jobs never really was. Woz maybe. But he got double-shuffled out of the picture once Jobs gathered a bunch of brilliant software and hardware people together to create the Macintosh - and then claimed the whole thing as his own personal invention.

What I find  amazing is that nobody ever really seriously called him out on that. And now, it's generally accepted "fact" that Steve Jobs created the Macintosh.

Love it! (not)  :-\

Carol Haynes:
[Continuing the aside}

Blimey I had completely forgotten about Modular! A blast from the past - and yes it was a great Pascal-like language.

I do remember having fun with Forth - though it seems less like high level programming and more like a cross between a Mensa logic puzzle and assembly language!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version