ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Raspberry Pi's $35 Linux PC

<< < (4/31) > >>

40hz:
Does anyone know much about this stuff? I'd like to give it a shot with some software ideas, but the options are a tad freaky now with so many....
--- End quote ---

@Renegade - Arduino is already established and well beyond the curiosity/novelty stage. Not a bad choice if you're looking to develop something that has an active audience. You can also think outside the box with this puppy. Some musical instruments are out there that use Arduino for their base hardware. Ditto for some audio realtime processing uses.

Might be a natural for you since you're into music apps already. Just a thought... ;)

8) :Thmbsup:

4wd:
Melbourne's The Age newspaper today:

[3.3MB]
Raspberry Pi's $35 Linux PC

Also, this article from May 21, 2012.

Renegade:
Does anyone know much about this stuff? I'd like to give it a shot with some software ideas, but the options are a tad freaky now with so many....
--- End quote ---

@Renegade - Arduino is already established and well beyond the curiosity/novelty stage. Not a bad choice if you're looking to develop something that has an active audience. You can also think outside the box with this puppy. Some musical instruments are out there that use Arduino for their base hardware. Ditto for some audio realtime processing uses.

Might be a natural for you since you're into music apps already. Just a thought... ;)

-40hz (June 20, 2012, 06:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Exactly~! Thanks~! :D That's the perfect jump point for me to focus research on. (I hate chasing down a million different products -- better to start with some advice and a bit of focus!)

Renegade:
--- End quote ---

-40hz (June 20, 2012, 06:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Exactly~! Thanks~! :D That's the perfect jump point for me to focus research on. (I hate chasing down a million different products -- better to start with some advice and a bit of focus!)
-Renegade (June 21, 2012, 05:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, having looked some more, it's not quite what I want to work with. I'm really looking to work with an OS already there so I have a solid set of tools to work with, rather than having to go and code them all from scratch. I just don't have the time, unfortunately. I'd love to do it, but... time...

Any suggestions for one that runs Linux? That would be perfect. Or even Windows... though not really too hot on that idea as I don't really want to pay licensing fees like that.

40hz:
Just to very briefly risk risk going semi-off topic, there's two interesting articles over on the Phoronix website detailing the construction of a 12-core and a 96-core ARM cluster using inexpensive Pandaboard singleboard computers and Ubuntu. I think it serves as real world proof of just how much can be done with these little computers and an open operating system. Like famous burlesque dancer Gypsy Rose Lee allegedly said: "It ain't how much you got. It's how you use it."

And lest we be too jaded, the 96-core cluster not only draws a relatively paltry 200 watts for the entire works - but the techno-wonks responsible for it decided to run it off a solar panel. Small surprise it's MIT where this is all happening, right?

Note: Using an industrial trashcan as the server rack was inspired AFAIC.  >:D (The 12-core used a wooden dish drying rack.)

Last week I shared results from the Phoronix 12-core ARM Linux mini cluster that was constructed out of six PandaBoard ES development boards. Over the weekend, a 96-core ARM cluster succeeded this build. While packing nearly 100 cores and running Ubuntu Linux, the power consumption was just a bit more than 200 Watts. This array of nearly 100 processor cores was even powered up by a solar panel.

This past weekend I was out at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) where this build took place. A massive ARM build out has been in the plans for a few months and to even get it running off a solar panel. The build was a success and by Sunday, the goals were realized.
--- End quote ---

Here's the links for the 12-core and 96-core articles if anybody's interested.

So... is Linux "just a hobby" as another forum thread recently asked?

8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version