ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Raspberry Pi's $35 Linux PC

<< < (3/31) > >>

4wd:
Your Raspberry Pi Id number is 244205-4wd (June 16, 2012, 07:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Woohoo!  I'll get to order at the end of the week!!!   ...and then I get to wait..... :(

Registration date recorded betweenEstimated Invited to order dateEstimated shipping lead-time*6th March - 12th MarchTuesday 19 June9 weeks13th March - 21st MarchWednesday 20 June10 weeks22nd March - 5th AprilThursday 21 June11 weeks6th April - 16 AprilFriday 22 June11 weeks17th April - 25 AprilMonday 25 June12 weeks26th April - 8th MayTuesday 26 June12 weeks9th May - 23rd MayWednesday 27 June13 weeks24th May - 7th JuneThursday 28 June14 weeks8th June onwardsFriday 29 June14 weeks              
RS Components Australia Raspberry Pi FAQ

Not even worth buying an extra one to extort more money from Renegade since he's would arrive three weeks later anyway  :P

Renegade:
Not even worth buying an extra one to extort more money from Renegade since he's would arrive three weeks later anyway  :P
-4wd (June 19, 2012, 05:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Was that going to be $10 a week? :)

I would have registered a while back if I knew that they were this hard to get. Yikes. I figured that I would be able to just go out and get one whenever I felt like. But this works too -- gives me some time to contemplate what wonderful things I'll accomplish with it~! :D

40hz:
Something just occurred to me. Those of you who have been around long enough to have witnessed the birth of the "personal computer" (Kim1, IMSAI, etc.) and lived through it's early childhood (VIC-20, C-64, Atari 800, Coleco Adam, TRS-80, Apple ][ at al) might notice a similarity between then, and what's happening now with the Rasberry Pi.

You're seeing a creative community of enthusiasts forming around a piece of inexpensive and empowering technology. And this community is open to new ideas and freely sharing discoveries with each other.

Looks like the "good old days" of the personal computing movement are making a comeback.

Funny how Apple and Microsoft got their start in a time when there was a huge interest in getting control over your personal technology. Bill Gates, Paul Allen, Steve Jobs and The Woz launched two of the most successful companies in history - and ushered in a whole new world (both figuratively and literally) - in rebellion against IBM and other computing giants who were committed to preserving their secretive and proprietary walled-garden ecosystems.

Things have changed a lot since 1975. And one of the most notable changes is that the former 'rebels' are now doing their damnedest to become our new overlords.

How interesting that a new small, inexpensive, single-board computer has emerged, along with it's own community, in response.

Apparently history is repeating itself - once again.

How cool is that?

8) :Thmbsup:

----------------------------------

Addendum:

Back in the day, I was firmly ensconced in the Commodore Camp with my trusty Vic-20, my stable of C-64s and my elegant C-128. Our holy book was a Canadian-based enthusiast's magazine called Transacter. It started out in 1978 as a few page newsletter. But it became a legitimate printed bi-monthly magazine sold on bookstore racks and the bigger news stands before its demise in 1989.

Since there were no websites back then, it was eagerly awaited by the Commodore community whenever it came out. The B&N around where I live used to have a sign that read: "ATTENTION! Transacter magazine is put out as soon as we receive it. If you don't see it, it either hasn't arrived, or it's sold out. And no - we won't be receiving additional copies."

The full Transacter archive in PDF can be found here. If you're curious, take a look at a few issues and compare what you see there to what's happening with MagPi magazine.

Of course, if you still have an old C64 sitting somewhere, you could always plug it in (I can almost guarantee it still works), download a few copies of Transacter, and have at it. Well worth it too! That old C64 sprite and SID chip magic is still there.
 :) :Thmbsup:

sword:
Some proposed, 2012, and available PC boards:
Raspberry Pi; BeagleBoard-xM; BeagleBone; PandaBoard ES; Cotton Candy; Ninja Blocks; NUC Intel; VIA (APC/Android 8750 PC); Gooseberry; Olimex (A13-OLinuXino); Maple Board (LeafLabs); Arduino; gumstick (gumstix).

Renegade:
Some proposed, 2012, and available PC boards:
Raspberry Pi; BeagleBoard-xM; BeagleBone; PandaBoard ES; Cotton Candy; Ninja Blocks; NUC Intel; VIA (APC/Android 8750 PC); Gooseberry; Olimex (A13-OLinuXino); Maple Board (LeafLabs); Arduino; gumstick (gumstix).
-sword (June 20, 2012, 12:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Raspberry Pi; $35
BeagleBoard-xM; $79
BeagleBone; $??
PandaBoard ES; $182
Cotton Candy; $??
Ninja Blocks; $??
NUC Intel; $400
VIA (APC/Android 8750 PC); $49
Gooseberry; $??
Olimex (A13-OLinuXino); $??
Maple Board (LeafLabs); $35
Arduino; $19 (huh?)
gumstick (gumstix) $149+

Quite a range out there. The $19 board freaks me out. But, there are lots of options.

Does anyone know much about this stuff? I'd like to give it a shot with some software ideas, but the options are a tad freaky now with so many....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version