ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Help me think of a small ipad app idea to code

<< < (6/11) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Avoid any hair pulling ... Consider the demographic ... And then cater to the lowest common denominator...-Stoic Joker (June 14, 2012, 06:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

In keeping with the above theme...

For those that like to hike in the woods, how about an app that will scare bears away. Don't know what it would have to sound like, but I've asked around and haven't heard of one.-grandpastan (July 09, 2012, 11:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

I really think he's on to something. Face it coming up with a game changing, useful, functional application is fraught with complications and subjectivity. Because they really have to do something very specific, very well, and in a fashion that doesn't annoy and/or confuse users with varying to zero skill levels. However... Small toys, that will get a few laughs at parties ... Are fairly easy to get people to throw a buck at. Ya know?

Abbot: Why are you wearing that hidious hat?
Costello: To scare the lions away!
Abbot: There isn't a lion within 100 miles of here.
Costello: See! It's working...

^Click^ :)

Renegade:
Avoid any hair pulling ... Consider the demographic ... And then cater to the lowest common denominator...-Stoic Joker (June 14, 2012, 06:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

In keeping with the above theme...

For those that like to hike in the woods, how about an app that will scare bears away. Don't know what it would have to sound like, but I've asked around and haven't heard of one.-grandpastan (July 09, 2012, 11:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

I really think he's on to something. Face it coming up with a game changing, useful, functional application is fraught with complications and subjectivity. Because they really have to do something very specific, very well, and in a fashion that doesn't annoy and/or confuse users with varying to zero skill levels. However... Small toys, that will get a few laughs at parties ... Are fairly easy to get people to throw a buck at. Ya know?
-Stoic Joker (July 10, 2012, 06:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, for something that scares bears, I think that's an specific idea to ditch if serious, but a comic one can work very well.

There are simply too many limitations on mobile devices, and it's just not possible to do. The first thing, which kills the deal, is the audio speaker quality. They're simply too poor. You need a very wide dynamic range to effectively reproduce sound. Also, the power requirements would be too large for a mobile device. (I'm thinking about the 192 kHz post by 40hz that I have yet to read [I need to schedule several hours to give it proper attention], but I can't see how it would be applicable in any way [from my distant recall from a very quick skimming] as the core considerations here are for bear hearing and dynamic range, and not sampling rates.)

But +1 for everything else StoicJoker said there.

A comic version of a "Bear Scare" app could work very well. Not all apps need to be "rational" or "functional".

Stoic Joker:
A comic version of a "Bear Scare" app could work very well. Not all apps need to be "rational" or "functional".
-Renegade (July 10, 2012, 08:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Bingo!!

Sound range is only an issue if one wants to create something that might actually work. However as a gag, it only needs to be heard by the user (e.g. Angry Birds game level sound quality). So if it just pops up a cartoon picture of a crazy old woman yelling woogie boogie boogie ... Well... That's all it really needs to do. ;)

mouser:
A quick report on getting up to speed experimenting with Ipad/Iphone development on a Mac.

My previous experiences coding for Apple products have been quite negative, and I have in general a very negative attitude towards the company and it's approach to nearly everything it does.

So you can imagine my surprise when it turned out that creating and deploying my first test application on an ipad and iphone was a wonderfully painless, smooth, even fun process..

HA! just kidding!  It was basically far worse than I could have imagined.  Really really a horrible convoluted, unnecessarily complicated and opaque process whose every step feels like it has been designed with the sole purpose of demonstrating the worst case vision of bureaucratic dystopia.  Whether it was signing up to be given permission to pay $100 to develop applications for the ipad/iphone (which I am not kidding took about 3 weeks, 10 emails, 5 phone calls, 1 conference call) just to get the apple web site to let me register using a company name (donationcoder.com), which no one could figure out why it wouldn't go through.  Or whether it was following the insane procedures for creating Provisioning Profiles, Distribution Profiles, AppIds, registering test devices, or whether it was figuring out how to trick xcode to be willing to build an iphone app that would run on my test iphone 3g (hell i would have been satisfied with a simple error message telling me why it wouldn't run rather than just silently doing nothing).

This isn't a reflection on the devices themselves or the final results, but Apple seems determined to make (getting started) developing on their platforms an honest to god hellish experience.

mouser:
As a side rant: I absolutely hate the Mac OS approach to having one main menubar at the top of the screen that changes depending on the child window you choose, and the basic approach to having desktop windows that simply vanish into thin air until you can figure out where they went.  God help us if people start to copy the way apple does things..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version