ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

In search of ... opinions on code snippet libraries

<< < (4/4)

rgdot:
I'll tell you what though... I'm most fascinated by the encyclopedic information on Pepsi he has on his website.
-mwb1100 (June 30, 2012, 03:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

OfftopicNice find* rgdot is a big Pepsi addict :D

barney:
I'll tell you what though... I'm most fascinated by the encyclopedic information on Pepsi he has on his website.
-mwb1100 (June 30, 2012, 03:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

-rgdot (June 30, 2012, 03:32 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hm-m-m ... last time I remember having a Pepsi was with a bag of Planter's Peanuts at the corner - and only - store during a summer when my parents had farmed my sister and me out to my paternal grandparents' farm.  Pour in some peanuts, then upend the bottle to catch the fizz and the peanuts at the same time  :P.

Mr. Beene's gbCodeLib has a few bells & whistles missing, but I've been using it for several years w/o trouble.  Mostly with PHP/CSS/JS/SQL, but there've been a few forays into more typed languages, e.g., VB or Delphi.  I just can't get comfortable with his portable version, gbFlashLib, for some reason.  I use it, but it seems cramped, somehow.  He also has gbXML - Language File Generator, But I've never had occasion to make use of that one, so I really am not able to comment on it except to say that it looks good  :P.

Addendum:  gbCodeLib comes with libraries for ASP, C++, Cobol, C#, Delphi, DOS, Excel, HTML, Java, Outlook, PERL, ..., and there may be more available on his Website.  Some of those libraries are simple placeholders, some have minimal tutorial listings, some are fairly complex.  Since I'm relatively weak with JS, that particular library has helped me immensely the times I've needed JS.

caveatrob:
Good topic - I've also been underwhelmed by snippet managers. I use UltraEdit, and their snippet management is language sensitive, but I've talked them into making it so you can choose snippets from other languages while in a file. EditPlus does the same thing, except you can literally drag snippets into the snippet sidebar.

I've got two other hacked-together solutions; one is an AutoHotkey context menu that I hotkey to Win-Z that pops up a menu with some basic code snippets (open database/close database/insert header). I also have a small program that grabs the clipboard when I highlight over something to make a snippet, and saves it to a text file named for the language/basic function. So I can then use Everything or something like DTSearch or PowerGrep to search across those files and put the code in.

I *also* write tiny AHK guis to generate standard css/page templates for the ASP and PHP code I write. I click on what libraries to include, choose the style (1 or 2 column) and it opens a text file, fills in the spots that I've tagged, and then copies the output to the clipboard.

I have not yet found an easy, usable single solution to this, but I'm getting closer on my own FrankenCode.

barney:
Yeah.  I've been told that the manly way is to just remember the code, then type it in.  "Real programmers don't paste code," or words to that effect  :P.  My current environment for such is Komodo Edit - I'd get the IDE version, but it's way too focused on teams, and I'm a team of one (1) - which has a decent snippet manager, but it's unique to Komodo, which is not portable.  (Tried UltraEdit some time back - don't recall why I didn't care for it  :-\.)  gbCodeLib works admirably, but I just cannot seem to get comfortable with the portable version.  I cannot help but believe that there's something better, but if so, it's well concealed  :( >:( :D.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version