ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

In search of ... opinions on code snippet libraries

<< < (2/4) > >>

wraith808:
^ I think perhaps I misunderstood your original answer.  Or something was lost in translation.  Did you mean a library of methods and such that would be referenced?

barney:
What I seek is more a hint file than library - prolly shouldn't have used that term  :).

I've long maintained a list of code snippets - not libraries or plug-ins - that I can cut and paste into what I might be doing at the moment.  Or, perhaps, I need a reminder of the syntax for a particular command, complete with all the possible qualifiers.  Basic laziness, for the most part, but once in a while exact syntax matters.

For instance, there is a script that is useful for debugging JavaScript errors.  With gbCodeLib, I just find that particular error handler, copy the script, paste it as needed.  It's generic, so no need to edit.

Other JS might need to have certain values edited, but it's easier to edit appropriate values than to try to remember the exact syntax.  For instance, there is a JS script for handling a calendar by month.  It's 109 lines.  I won't remember 109 lines  :-[.

Right now, for portability, this is all in a text file, but traversing that file is inefficient and time-consuming at best.  Putting it into CintaNotes is only marginally better.  So I'm looking for a tool, preferably portable, that is designed for the purpose of storing, cataloging, tagging, and searching these code snippets.

(I did look at CherryTree, but my eyes don't deal well with text on a black background.  It's a viable alternative, but difficult [for me] to use, so I'm hoping for something better.)

robinsiebler:
Cherrytree comes with several different color schemes and you can create/import others. Here is the scheme I am using (the red on black you see is my WindowBlinds theme, not the program).

barney:
Cherrytree comes with several different color schemes ...
-robinsiebler (June 14, 2012, 08:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I saw that.  But it wouldn't let me change the color scheme while using code highlighting.  Maybe more there than I've seen, I've only spent ~half an hour with it so far.  Still testing.

wraith808:
What I seek is more a hint file than library - prolly shouldn't have used that term  :).

I've long maintained a list of code snippets - not libraries or plug-ins - that I can cut and paste into what I might be doing at the moment.  Or, perhaps, I need a reminder of the syntax for a particular command, complete with all the possible qualifiers.  Basic laziness, for the most part, but once in a while exact syntax matters.

For instance, there is a script that is useful for debugging JavaScript errors.  With gbCodeLib, I just find that particular error handler, copy the script, paste it as needed.  It's generic, so no need to edit.

Other JS might need to have certain values edited, but it's easier to edit appropriate values than to try to remember the exact syntax.  For instance, there is a JS script for handling a calendar by month.  It's 109 lines.  I won't remember 109 lines  :-[.

Right now, for portability, this is all in a text file, but traversing that file is inefficient and time-consuming at best.  Putting it into CintaNotes is only marginally better.  So I'm looking for a tool, preferably portable, that is designed for the purpose of storing, cataloging, tagging, and searching these code snippets.

(I did look at CherryTree, but my eyes don't deal well with text on a black background.  It's a viable alternative, but difficult [for me] to use, so I'm hoping for something better.)
-barney (June 14, 2012, 07:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ah... sounds cool.  Like templates sort of.  Yeah... I use snipplr for that and hook into http://www.snipitpro.com/ on windows and http://www.snippetsapp.com/ on mac.  Not free, but they work well...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version