ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Help the Animals

<< < (3/3)

Stoic Joker:
That WOOF programme looks pretty innovative too.-IainB (June 10, 2012, 09:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, and it has been quite successful in helping both the inmates and the dogs that they train (both were happier and better behaved after the experience).

-------------------------------------

Thak you to all that voted.

app103:
Looks like they won!

Stoic Joker:

Thanks for pointing that out April, it's truly the best news I've heard in a while.

IainB:
That WOOF programme looks pretty innovative too.-IainB (June 10, 2012, 09:42 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, and it has been quite successful in helping both the inmates and the dogs that they train (both were happier and better behaved after the experience).
-------------------------------------
Thak you to all that voted.
-Stoic Joker (June 11, 2012, 06:36 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, that's what I figured. I know of similar programs in other prisons that have had similarly beneficial results for the inmates and the dogs.
Mankind have evolved over the millennia in a symbiotic state with some animals - particularly dogs, it seems.

For several years, my main job at home - as a child in the high country of North Wales (UK) - was to look after some dog kennels and a cattery (usually around 25 or so dogs and about 12 cats).
I had to develop a work ethic and perseverance, so as carry out my regular and often unpleasant duties (e.g., mucking out the kennels and cattery) in all weathers, but at the same time I developed a very great respect for and understanding of the biology and nature of dogs, and a more considerate empathy for/towards the cats (which empathy had been absent previously).
Medical scientists have observed, but I think have as yet no explanation for, the beneficial healing and calming effect that dogs and cats have on patients when they stroke or cuddle the animals. That's why some hospitals and rest-homes have such animals as resident pets wandering around - for the benefit of the patients' health. It's not scientific, just empiric method.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version