Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site December 18, 2014, 11:24:43 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

View the new Member Awards and Badges page.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Help the Animals  (Read 1826 times)
Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: June 10, 2012, 08:38:53 AM »

Greetings
   Our local Humane Society (which is a no kill shelter) is part of a charitable organization contest to win a new vehicle from Toyota. The contest is decided based on whichever organization gets the most votes. So... If any one has a FaceBook account, and likes animals ... smiley ... Please click here and vote for the Humane Society of Marion County.

Note: The voting for them can only be done today (June 10th).

Thank You,

Stoic Joker
rgdot
Supporting Member

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 09:01:15 AM »

Done
bob99
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 09:24:21 AM »

And Done!
Had to finally sign up to FB but something like this is worth it.
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 10:30:15 AM »

Done.

FYI - For anyone voting, click the charity. You don't need to like Toyota, etc.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
nosh
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 10:34:55 AM »

2 votes.  Wink
app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 11:53:44 AM »

Done!

IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 09:06:33 PM »

I am a bit fuzzy about how a new Toyota might help "save" (or save more) animals. Might that not statistically merely serve to increase the probability of running over more animals?    tellme

Doing something else, for example, such as (say) putting little animal huts or incubators outside the animal welfare facility might help to encourage people to anonymously drop off their (or their neighbours') unwanted animals, 24/7.

This type of approach seems to be working quite well in hospitals in Europe, where hospitals have started to put incubators outside the facility, so as to encourage people to anonymously drop off their (or someone else's) "unwanted" babies, 24/7.
It's apparently becoming quite a growing trend.
Stephen66515
Animated Giffer in Chief
Honorary Member

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 09:12:42 PM »

Doing it...

No trees were harmed during the creation of this message.  Millions of electrons, however, were terribly inconvenienced

"Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the things you can think up if only you try!" - Dr. Seuss
Stephen66515
Animated Giffer in Chief
Honorary Member

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 09:14:06 PM »

I am a bit fuzzy about how a new Toyota might help "save" (or save more) animals. Might that not statistically merely serve to increase the probability of running over more animals?    tellme

Doing something else, for example, such as (say) putting little animal huts or incubators outside the animal welfare facility might help to encourage people to anonymously drop off their (or their neighbours') unwanted animals, 24/7.

This type of approach seems to be working quite well in hospitals in Europe, where hospitals have started to put incubators outside the facility, so as to encourage people to anonymously drop off their (or someone else's) "unwanted" babies, 24/7.
It's apparently becoming quite a growing trend.

It is a means to enable us to fulfill our mission by transporting animals and equipment and increasing our humane education efforts. (1) Humane education for children at local schools and organizations. (2) Pet Parenting Program motivates families to unchain dogs and overcome obstacles to integrating the pet into the famiyl; includes putting up fencing and doing in-home training. (3) Pick up dogs and cats to bring to our shelter. (4) Women Offering Obedience & Training (WOOF) Program requires transporting to Lowell Correctional Institution for inmates to train the dogs making the dogs more adoptable. (5) Deliver dog and cat food to local organizations and pick up donations. (6) Transport animals to various activities and events throughout Marion County. (6) Transport donated building materials to improve shelter and for Pet Parenting Program. Our current truck is old. We pass up opportunities when transport is not available. A new Toyota would help us help homeless animals.

No trees were harmed during the creation of this message.  Millions of electrons, however, were terribly inconvenienced

"Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the things you can think up if only you try!" - Dr. Seuss
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 09:42:45 PM »

@Stephen66515: Ah! Now I understand. Thankyou.
That WOOF programme looks pretty innovative too.
Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 06:36:28 AM »

Yes, and it has been quite successful in helping both the inmates and the dogs that they train (both were happier and better behaved after the experience).

-------------------------------------

Thak you to all that voted.
app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 03:07:53 PM »

Looks like they won!

Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 03:31:57 PM »

Thanks for pointing that out April, it's truly the best news I've heard in a while.
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 07:42:01 PM »

Yes, and it has been quite successful in helping both the inmates and the dogs that they train (both were happier and better behaved after the experience).
-------------------------------------
Thak you to all that voted.
Yes, that's what I figured. I know of similar programs in other prisons that have had similarly beneficial results for the inmates and the dogs.
Mankind have evolved over the millennia in a symbiotic state with some animals - particularly dogs, it seems.

For several years, my main job at home - as a child in the high country of North Wales (UK) - was to look after some dog kennels and a cattery (usually around 25 or so dogs and about 12 cats).
I had to develop a work ethic and perseverance, so as carry out my regular and often unpleasant duties (e.g., mucking out the kennels and cattery) in all weathers, but at the same time I developed a very great respect for and understanding of the biology and nature of dogs, and a more considerate empathy for/towards the cats (which empathy had been absent previously).
Medical scientists have observed, but I think have as yet no explanation for, the beneficial healing and calming effect that dogs and cats have on patients when they stroke or cuddle the animals. That's why some hospitals and rest-homes have such animals as resident pets wandering around - for the benefit of the patients' health. It's not scientific, just empiric method.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.039s | Server load: 0.28 ]