topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:46 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Help the Animals  (Read 6029 times)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Help the Animals
« on: June 10, 2012, 08:38 AM »
Greetings
   Our local Humane Society (which is a no kill shelter) is part of a charitable organization contest to win a new vehicle from Toyota. The contest is decided based on whichever organization gets the most votes. So... If any one has a FaceBook account, and likes animals ... :) ... Please click here and vote for the Humane Society of Marion County.

Note: The voting for them can only be done today (June 10th).

Thank You,

Stoic Joker

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Help the Animals
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 09:01 AM »
Done

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 09:24 AM »
And Done!
Had to finally sign up to FB but something like this is worth it.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 10:30 AM »
Done.

FYI - For anyone voting, click the charity. You don't need to like Toyota, etc.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 10:34 AM »
2 votes.  ;)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 11:53 AM »
Done!

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 09:06 PM »
I am a bit fuzzy about how a new Toyota might help "save" (or save more) animals. Might that not statistically merely serve to increase the probability of running over more animals?    :tellme:

Doing something else, for example, such as (say) putting little animal huts or incubators outside the animal welfare facility might help to encourage people to anonymously drop off their (or their neighbours') unwanted animals, 24/7.

This type of approach seems to be working quite well in hospitals in Europe, where hospitals have started to put incubators outside the facility, so as to encourage people to anonymously drop off their (or someone else's) "unwanted" babies, 24/7.
It's apparently becoming quite a growing trend.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 09:12 PM »
Doing it...

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 09:14 PM »
I am a bit fuzzy about how a new Toyota might help "save" (or save more) animals. Might that not statistically merely serve to increase the probability of running over more animals?    :tellme:

Doing something else, for example, such as (say) putting little animal huts or incubators outside the animal welfare facility might help to encourage people to anonymously drop off their (or their neighbours') unwanted animals, 24/7.

This type of approach seems to be working quite well in hospitals in Europe, where hospitals have started to put incubators outside the facility, so as to encourage people to anonymously drop off their (or someone else's) "unwanted" babies, 24/7.
It's apparently becoming quite a growing trend.

It is a means to enable us to fulfill our mission by transporting animals and equipment and increasing our humane education efforts. (1) Humane education for children at local schools and organizations. (2) Pet Parenting Program motivates families to unchain dogs and overcome obstacles to integrating the pet into the famiyl; includes putting up fencing and doing in-home training. (3) Pick up dogs and cats to bring to our shelter. (4) Women Offering Obedience & Training (WOOF) Program requires transporting to Lowell Correctional Institution for inmates to train the dogs making the dogs more adoptable. (5) Deliver dog and cat food to local organizations and pick up donations. (6) Transport animals to various activities and events throughout Marion County. (6) Transport donated building materials to improve shelter and for Pet Parenting Program. Our current truck is old. We pass up opportunities when transport is not available. A new Toyota would help us help homeless animals.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 09:42 PM »
@Stephen66515: Ah! Now I understand. Thankyou.
That WOOF programme looks pretty innovative too.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 06:36 AM »

Yes, and it has been quite successful in helping both the inmates and the dogs that they train (both were happier and better behaved after the experience).

-------------------------------------

Thak you to all that voted.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 03:07 PM »
Looks like they won!

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 03:31 PM »
Ecstatic Smiley.gif

Thanks for pointing that out April, it's truly the best news I've heard in a while.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 07:42 PM »
Yes, and it has been quite successful in helping both the inmates and the dogs that they train (both were happier and better behaved after the experience).
-------------------------------------
Thak you to all that voted.
Yes, that's what I figured. I know of similar programs in other prisons that have had similarly beneficial results for the inmates and the dogs.
Mankind have evolved over the millennia in a symbiotic state with some animals - particularly dogs, it seems.

For several years, my main job at home - as a child in the high country of North Wales (UK) - was to look after some dog kennels and a cattery (usually around 25 or so dogs and about 12 cats).
I had to develop a work ethic and perseverance, so as carry out my regular and often unpleasant duties (e.g., mucking out the kennels and cattery) in all weathers, but at the same time I developed a very great respect for and understanding of the biology and nature of dogs, and a more considerate empathy for/towards the cats (which empathy had been absent previously).
Medical scientists have observed, but I think have as yet no explanation for, the beneficial healing and calming effect that dogs and cats have on patients when they stroke or cuddle the animals. That's why some hospitals and rest-homes have such animals as resident pets wandering around - for the benefit of the patients' health. It's not scientific, just empiric method.