ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

SOLVED: Compare locations and remove duplicate folders

(1/5) > >>

dikiz:
Hello! Out of all the existing duplicate finders, none of them really looks for duplicate folders, only files. The closest thing I've found is this http://sourceforge.net/projects/vfolderdups/

It really performs a duplicate search based on folder names. In addition to that I'm looking for a program that would perform 3 other things :
- A two location mode in order to compare 2 drives/locations
- Possibility to remove all duplicate folders at once (whitout right clicking on all sub folder to delete, impossble to do when there's 2000 duplicates)
- Option to identify a folder as duplicate only if it has not subfolder inside

To understand more the use I would have of it, let me give a concrete example :
I have a folder (A) of mp3 want to use to replace my existing mp3 folder (B) made with different music file type.
    A
    |____Nirvana
    | |_____1991 - Nevermind      <= mp3
    | |_____1993 - In Utero         <= mp3

B
    |____Nirvana
    | |_____1991 - Nevermind      <= mp3
    | |_____1993 - In Utero         <= ogg
    | |_____1992 - Incesticide      <= aac

In this example, "B" folder has 2 duplicate sub-folders (Nevermind and In Utero) so they will be removed. NOTE :
    - It doesn't matter if the files inside are different
    - Folders and sub-folders with different names (not existing in "A") won't be touched inside "B" (Incesticide in the example)
    - "Nirvana" folder isn't considered as a duplicate since it contains subfolders
After B folder has been processed :
    B
    |____Nirvana
    | |_____1992 - Incesticide      <= acc

It could look a bit like this :
Thanks to all !

yksyks:
ZTreeWin can do this regardless of the folder contents, it can compare only the folder names. You'll need some of the beta version though (the new final release will be available soon), which work with the directories.

Here you can see the results after the comparison. The blue lines means that the folders are "tagged", so you can do any global operation with them, like deleting, moving, or renaming.

If you're interested and need more info, let me know.

dikiz:
Yes! It looks very interesting in regards to what I'm looking for..

I'd like to compare folders "A" and "B", and I cannot find how in the example bellow:
It says directory empty with the "Compare" function

yksyks:
First, you're right, there's a problem with directories with no files in them—I've just reported this to author.

Second, to compare the directories, you have to sWitch to Directory mode (press W, and on one side is enough), because you don't want to work with files, but directories only. Then press Enter to display the contents. Then Alt-F4 for compare, then Enter, and key "I" repeatedly until you reach "tag: Identical (name )". That should do, provided the relative roots contain any files. This for sure will be fixed soon, the author is very active in fixing problems.

dikiz:
Thanks
Well it is actually a good thing for me if this program doesn't compare a folder without files, but it should if it contains subfolders.

In the example above, "Autechre" should not be considered as a duplicate (no files inside, only folders)
Do you think it is possible to acheive this with Ztree?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version