topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: C++ Builder Contest Webpage is Live  (Read 10158 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
C++ Builder Contest Webpage is Live
« on: April 07, 2006, 07:26 PM »
April 07, 2006

DonationCoder.com and Borland announced a donationware programming contest featuring Borland's C++ Builder Rapid Application Development tool for Microsoft Windows.

The contest runs for approximately three months, from April 10 to July 14.

Over $15,000 in programming-related prizes will be awarded, including Enterprise and Professional editions of C++ Builder.

Programs will be judged in a variety of categories including small utilities, academic tools, web applications, and more. Judging will be by members of Borland and DonationCoder.com, with public participation.

Winning programs will be prominently spotlighted on the DonationCoder.com website and be made available to the public as donationware. All donations will go directly to the original authors.

Contest website: http://bcbcontest.donationcoder.com

Read the Official Borland BDN entry.

Please help spread the news and let fellow programmers know about the contest.  Even people new to C++ Builder are welcome to participate.

This forum section is now open for discussion on all issues relating to the contest and C++ Builder.  We welcome entrants to make their programs available for public or private beta testing throughout the duration of the contest.

One of the really unique aspects of the contest is that winning entries will be spotlighted on the DonationCoder.com website as donationware and we will try to help authors get donations for their program (all donations will go to the author of course).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 07:30 PM by mouser »

martyjn

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Internet Games
    • Donate to Member
Re: C++ Builder Contest Webpage is Live
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 04:08 AM »
I am using Borland c++ builder 3.00 standard It builds executables but they will not run on machines without Borland installed can Entrys expect to have the borland dlls and other files on the machine they r tested on or i do they have to completely install.I have just found the competition and i am considering entering.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 04:13 AM »
borland c++ builder 3 is so old, do you really want to be using it?
you might consider entering with a program built using the trial version of c++ builder 2006.

if you must enter with c++ builder 3, you could simply package up an executable together with the dlls needed, and/or provide the source code and someone may be able to build it for a more recent version of c++ builder.

martyjn

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Internet Games
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 04:18 AM »
Hi ok how do i get the builder 6 trial? I was using the bc++ 5.5 demo i just was using bc++3 to get the ide to deal with all the windows stuff and simplify the project is it prefered to be IDE generated windows or to be handcoded ?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 04:56 AM »
the contest web page has links to the c++ builder 2006 trial (it's a huge download).
bcb6 is a few years old but is still very usable if you can find that.
bcb5 is actually still usable as well but anything before that is really pushing it.

from my standpoint, the beauty of c++ builder is the gui designer and visual components, so i enjoy using them.  but use what you like most :)

martyjn

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Internet Games
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 06:22 AM »
I downloaded the bcb 6 trial (i am still using dial up) took 12.5 hours all up and i am re writing my entry using it the program will have a simple chat program that links to games (norts and crosses,chess,checkers,what ever else i can think of before entry) to run over a tcp/ip socket connection with one acting as the server and a second acting as the client.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 07:12 AM »
looking forward to seeing it martyjn :)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 05:10 AM »
Borland never offered a non-expiring free personal edition of C++ Builder 6 for download on their site. You had to find a magazine with a CD or buy a CD from them.

But they did allow it to be offered by Nokia as part of a free Symbian Series 60 SDK download.

Go grab a copy before it's gone!

Just click "I agree" and the download will begin and you will have a copy of C++ Builder 6 Personal Edition, that will never expire on you:

http://ncsp.forum.no...la;asset_id=206;ref=

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 05:48 AM »
Good find, but it is entitled "Borland C++ Mobile Edition for Series 60, Nokia Edition"

Have you actually downloaded and installed it? Is it the same as the PE edition or are there bits not associated for dev. mobile apps (like desktop libraries etc.) missing?

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 01:22 PM »
I have downlaoded it and installed it.

You need to unpack the ZIP file (it creates a root folder for itself).

There is an installer that installs loads of unnecessary stuff (in the "INSTALL" folder) but if you go into the "BCB6_MobileEdition" folder instead you can simply install C++ Builder 6 PE without all the mobile nonsense.

Good find.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 01:24 PM by Carol Haynes »