ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

If you are a LinkedIn/Last.FM/eHarmony user, then change your password pronto.

<< < (2/5) > >>

wraith808:
To my knowledge, this is the second time something like this has happened at LinkedIn. The last time was on 2010-12-14, when LinkedIn emailed members telling them to change their passwords.
-IainB (June 06, 2012, 05:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

IIRC, the first time was due to a gawker.com breach, and they were advising that as a precaution in case the same password was used on their site.
-daddydave (June 07, 2012, 08:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

This recollection is true.  And Linked In is the only social networking site that I've even seen as useful... so YMMV I guess...

justice:
Don't type your password into random websites (leakedin)
-justice (June 07, 2012, 08:42 AM)
--- End quote ---
Hi, Justice.  I'm not really sure what you mean.  Do you mean "enter your password some other way rather than typing it in"?  Or do you mean that LinkedIn (which I agreed to join and for which I have set a specific password) is a "random website"??  :tellme:   
-cyberdiva (June 07, 2012, 11:19 AM)
--- End quote ---
The leakedin website lets you type in your password, and it will check to see if it has been leaked by linkedin. I say don't type your passwords into any other website than the one it belongs to.

IainB:
To my knowledge, this is the second time something like this has happened at LinkedIn. The last time was on 2010-12-14, when LinkedIn emailed members telling them to change their passwords.
-IainB (June 06, 2012, 05:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
IIRC, the first time was due to a gawker.com breach, and they were advising that as a precaution in case the same password was used on their site.
-daddydave (June 07, 2012, 08:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, that's right. The last one was because of a precaution, as a result of a breach at Gawker.com (assets include LifeHacker.com), and not a breach at LinkedIn. This is from the LinkedIn email to members, dated 2010-12-15:
...We recently sent you a message stating that your LinkedIn password had been disabled for security reasons. (Note: If you have more than one email registered with us, you will receive more than one password reset message. You only need to act on one of them.)
This was in response to a security breach on a different site, Gawker.com, where a number of usernames and passwords were exposed. We want to make sure those leaked emails and passwords were not being used to attack any LinkedIn members.
There is no indication that your LinkedIn account has been affected, but since it shares an email with the compromised Gawker accounts, we decided to ensure its safety by asking you to reset its password.
If you haven't done that already, now is a good time to follow these steps:
    Go to the LinkedIn website.
    Click on "Sign In".
    Click on "Forgot Password?" and follow the directions on the website.

Please keep in mind that the best defense against these types of attacks is to have unique passwords for each site you use. You can always search our support site and our blog for more security tips.
We apologize for the inconvenience, but we feel this action is in your best interest. Thanks for your immediate attention to our request.

Sincerely,

LinkedIn Privacy Team

--- End quote ---

cyberdiva:
The leakedin website lets you type in your password, and it will check to see if it has been leaked by linkedin. I say don't type your passwords into any other website than the one it belongs to.
-justice (June 07, 2012, 04:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
When I read your earlier message, I thought your parenthetical "(leakedin)" was referring to LinkedIn, since your message came not long after IainB's humorous remark about LinkedIn changing its name to LeakedIn.   Now I see I was mistaken.  I totally agree with your advice about not typing a password into sites other than the one it belongs to.  Though LeakedIn is probably legitimate, there's always the possibility that it or a similar site may really be intent on gathering people's passwords, passwords typed in without even the protection that serious encryption offers.

IainB:
Crikey, I didn't realise there was such a site as leakedin.com

Maybe I was being a bit unfair to LinkedIn...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version