ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Reader's Corner - The Library of Utopia + resource links

<< < (2/14) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
Yeah, ebook readers shouldn't be examining your reading habits and then reporting that info anywhere. Plus, if some company gets hacked that kind of database can become blackmail city.

TaoPhoenix:
Iain, the tricky part of the used software/ebook is that proving that you don't have / can't use your copy that you just sold requires some kind of DRM lock.

You know what show is starting to feel quaint these days to me? Star Trek. We're basically in the early throes of the Replicator, and 3d printing is catching up. Let's give the Original Series a break for being in happy go lucky 1960's, but anyone else notice that basically *none* of the series really ever dealt with copyright?

IainB:
...the tricky part of the used software/ebook is that proving that you don't have / can't use your copy that you just sold requires some kind of DRM lock.
-TaoPhoenix (July 06, 2012, 09:07 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, I can see that. It's apparently a requirement of the DR owner. It's a monopolistic anachronism, like DVD zoning, held onto by the monopolies like grim death. It stands in the way of - blocks - economic market reformation.

Stoic Joker:
All that futzing about with the document will most assuredly have an adverse effect on the the user experience/device performance. We get a laggy reading experience and they get to shove a flashlight up our asses.

There is no good use for this technology.

TaoPhoenix:
All that futzing about with the document will most assuredly have an adverse effect on the the user experience/device performance. We get a laggy reading experience and they get to shove a flashlight up our asses.

There is no good use for this technology.
-Stoic Joker (July 06, 2012, 11:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Of course it will.

Hoping I get the phrasing right, DRM "auto-removal" tech is an important part of the discussion because it seems to be a big part of why it's called the First *Sale* doctrine, and not just people selling their own bootlegs. So yes it's an "important" use, just not any fun for the user vs. the pirate copy etc.

What I really wish would happen is if a cultural shift made "the new hotness" to be Creative Commons licensing, then all this copyright stuff would be like wearing bell bottom pants (and not as a retro joke).

But we're just barely beginning to get a little sense going on IP issues. Looping a bit broadly, Google-Oracle ended up with the correct outcome, Judge Posner threw out Apple's case against Motorola, the UK judge said that the slide to unlock gesture isn't infringing, and we beat ACTA. So back on topic, any useful solution to ebooks will only emerge in a climate of sanity. And however much I like playing "Infinity of Evil" with Renegade, it looks like we're at least back to "Slightly less infinitely evil".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version