ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The universe is geometrically flat?

<< < (2/4) > >>

IainB:
Yes, that's what I thought it might mean, but my knowledge of astronomy is elementary.
I had always thought of the universe as being a sort of expanding ball, with the bits of material in the ball moving away from each other at a great (increasing) rate of knots, making the interstitial spaces greater, over time. (Hence, I gather, at some distant point in the future, from any observation point in the universe, the stars will appear to go out and the night sky will appear to be empty.)
But this doesn't seem to tie in with "geometrically flat", unless the matter is lying all around the circumference of the universe-ball, with a real void in the middle.

DON'T PANIC.

Deozaan:
Maybe I don't understand the meaning of "geometrically flat" but I thought it was a known fact that the universe was flat. :huh:

I remember explaining to a friend about the flatness of the universe back in 2006. She, too, was having trouble comprehending it. I thought I was doing a bad job explaining it, but maybe it is the concept itself that is difficult for some people to understand?

mahesh2k:
as if they know the universe......
--- End quote ---

This,

Paul Keith:
Even if one were to know the universe, I doubt it can be depicted by geometry. (How would you measure a black hole with any form of math besides probability?)

Still...interesting article. Thanks.

tomos:
Maybe I don't understand the meaning of "geometrically flat" but I thought it was a known fact that the universe was flat. :huh:

I remember explaining to a friend about the flatness of the universe back in 2006. She, too, was having trouble comprehending it. I thought I was doing a bad job explaining it, but maybe it is the concept itself that is difficult for some people to understand?
-Deozaan (June 05, 2012, 04:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

I dont understand it - but I dont know anything about it.
Does it mean there is no third dimension? (I know there are probably other dimensions, but that's hard to grasp too.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version