ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google Stabs You in the Back...

<< < (4/5) > >>

wraith808:
The reason they can get away with this is complacency. If hundreds of thousands of people expressed their displeasure by no longer using Google Search, what would happen? But that won't occur, because the masses are ignorant.
-kyrathaba (August 21, 2012, 07:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

I just don't see the point, currently.  They haven't done anything wrong- there's just the fear that they will.  If they start charging for standard search, the quality of their searches will go down b/c they'll be missing great parts of the internet.  And they will go down in flaming ball of fire.  As they charge for their shopping searches, I'll look elsewhere?  Why?  Because they won't have the index of all of the places possible.  If people see that the quality of what they're doing declines as their greed increases, they'll quickly lose share.

Renegade:
The reason they can get away with this is complacency. If hundreds of thousands of people expressed their displeasure by no longer using Google Search, what would happen? But that won't occur, because the masses are ignorant.
-kyrathaba (August 21, 2012, 07:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

I just don't see the point, currently.  They haven't done anything wrong- there's just the fear that they will.  If they start charging for standard search, the quality of their searches will go down b/c they'll be missing great parts of the internet.  And they will go down in flaming ball of fire.  As they charge for their shopping searches, I'll look elsewhere?  Why?  Because they won't have the index of all of the places possible.  If people see that the quality of what they're doing declines as their greed increases, they'll quickly lose share.
-wraith808 (August 21, 2012, 08:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

I certainly hope that you're right.

mahesh2k:
...?  Where did Apple come into this?
--- End quote ---
Read:Google+ Apple fanboys, People who like their way of thinking are restricting content for users on other browsers than chrome. Not even midori was supported for the site mentioned earlier.

Well, yes and no.
--- End quote ---
It works under chrome. I tried it. It doesn't work on midori which is webkit based. They are likely to be detecting the browser and then showing the snap page.

TaoPhoenix:
Side stepping for a moment, what's the strategy behind a "company based in Nambia with a server in the US"? In the context of the US's content rules, vs the tax law ones, is some $4 of ad revenue a nice living in Nambia!?

:stars:

CWuestefeld:
Google to start charging companies for listings

Google is to start charging companies for listing their products in a core part of its search service,
The move also raises the prospect that Google will eventually replace other parts of its free listings with adverts, ...

--- End quote ---
-Renegade (June 03, 2012, 10:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

What a horrible article. This isn't designed to provide us with information, it's designed only to inflame -- and it sure looks like it's achieved its goal!

The first quoted line is crap. Froogle is not a core part of its search service. The second quoted line is nothing but FUD -- Google said nothing of the kind, somebody's just floating this suggestion to be sensational and instill fear.

Google's whole raison d'etre is for people to find them to be the simplest and most authoritative place to find information on everything. Do you really think they're going to destroy their core web search business by eliminating content from it that people are using?

There are plenty of examples of Google shutting down services that proved unpopular/unprofitable. What's wrong with them identifying one of these as being popular despite being unprofitable, and trying to find a way to continue providing the service without losing money? Is it wrong to expect the merchants that are benefiting from the service to <gasp> carry some of their own weight?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version