ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Removed Areas > Python

Unicode string works in web based Python shell but not on desktop?

(1/1)

daddydave:
Any idea why I can create a Unicode string in the Python shell on a Silverlight-based Python on the web but not in IDLE or any other Python shell on my desktop? I am using Google IME to type in both cases.

mahesh2k:
I am using Python 2.7.3 on Ubuntu 12.04 Precise and it seems to be working for me. I guess it could be windows issue. I used google transliterate for the string.

daddydave:
Found the fix and it works.
I notice the indentation is screwed up in stackoverflow -- I put the encoding = 'utf-8' line in line with the try and except preceding it.
This seems to have something to do with the Windows default encoding for stdout not being UTF-8.

--- Code: Python ---encoding = "ascii"if sys.platform == 'win32':    # On Windows, we could use "mbcs". However, to give the user    # a portable encoding name, we need to find the code page    try:        encoding = locale.getdefaultlocale()[1]        codecs.lookup(encoding)    except LookupError:        pass    encoding = 'utf-8'

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version