ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movie Title question for film buffs

(1/2) > >>

MilesAhead:
I'm trying to remember an old black and white movie I saw years ago.  I can't remember the lead actor. It's an English language movie.  I have the impression it's an American film. It was probably made in the 1940s or 50s. All I can remember is the general plot:

An "ordinary man" is given absolute power to rule the world.  He tries to put several policies into effect that seem like good ideas.  But the effects are always contrary to his intentions. He seeks advice from famous leaders of history. From statesmen to tyrants they line up in the waiting room and he consults with them in turn.  That's about all I can recall. It's one of those "democracy allegory" flicks. It's the type of flick that should star Claude Rains. But I checked his filmography on IMDB.  No dice.

Anyone know this one? I posted on a film board with a sub-forum just for these types of questions. 2 weeks and no response.

4wd:
The Man Who Could Work Miracles (1936) ?

An ordinary man suddenly finds that anything he says comes true. Or at least, almost anything!
--- End quote ---

Plot from Answers.com
As a result of a discussion between a trio of gods over the true worthiness of Earth, a retiring British shop assistant is granted miraculous powers in this fantasy based on an H.G. Wells story. Roland Young stars as George McWhirter Fotheringay, whose new powers are virtually limitless; choosing to use them for good, he sets out to create a utopian society. Still, despite a succession of miraculous deeds, George's plans to cure all of the world's ills is met with disbelief. As proof of his power, George wills the earth to stop spinning on its axis, which results in its citizens flying off the planet into space. Because George is indestructible, he is able to shout out his last wish, which restores the world--and George himself--back to normal. ~ Jason Ankeny, Rovi
--- End quote ---

MilesAhead:
Thanks. I never would have remembered that title. :)

4wd:
Hate to say it but 10 seconds on Google ;)

MilesAhead:
Hate to say it but 10 seconds on Google ;)
-4wd (June 01, 2012, 11:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Guess duck duck go and Bing just doesn't have the same coverage. I try to avoid google but maybe that's a lost cause. Like not using MS software. :)

When I searched with your phrase it came up immediately. But not with mine. So it begs the question how did you get your search phrase from what I wrote unless you happened to know something already? I just googled with what I posted originally and got some middle east terrorist mumbo jumbo.  Must be the search gods boycotting me.

In any case it's just vague memory left over from my H. G. Wells period. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version