ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Raspberry Pi - more woes!

(1/1)

Carol Haynes:
Finally got the thing working - had to buy another USB keyboard and a USB powered hub. Very limited power ability for the USB ports. Don't know about cheap computing all the accessories you need really work out quite expensive!

Anyway I setup the preferred Debian Linux on an SDHC card and it boots. I login and type StartX and get to a desktop.

All good except:

1) There is no RTC on the board so the time and date are wrong - how the heck do you set the time and date?

2) Can't find anywhere to setup connection details and consequently I can't connect to the internet. How do I specify my DHCP server/DNS server in Debian? I did notice it aquired and IP address during the LInux boot (192.168.1.24) but when I run a browser it can't resolve the addresses of websites so I presume I need to manually specify a DNS server.

Not exactly lacking frustration - though it does look pretty with its flashing lights!

tomos:
Not exactly lacking frustration - though it does look pretty with its flashing lights!
-Carol Haynes (June 02, 2012, 10:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

some compensation :)

ewemoa:
Which Debian are you using (squeeze, wheezy, sid, or something else?) and what is the content of your /etc/resolv.conf?

4wd:
1) There is no RTC on the board so the time and date are wrong - how the heck do you set the time and date?-Carol Haynes (June 02, 2012, 10:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Perhaps grab one of the many Arduino I2C RTC modules, (like this one on ebay), and interface it to the GPIO?

If nothing else, it'll be an opportunity to enhance your programming skills :)

Carol Haynes:
Sorted - for some reason it detected my DNS server on 192.168.1.2 (which is correct) but didn't actually seem able to use it. Strange because it works on all my other computers whether they are workgroup or domain based. I just added another DNS 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS service) and it works fine.

Once connected with a working DNS it automatically grabs real time from the internet so no RTC required after all.

Not sure how it knows I am in the UK though ???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version