Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site July 29, 2014, 09:51:43 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Check out and download the GOE 2007 Freeware Challenge productivity tools.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Raspberry Pi - more woes!  (Read 1392 times)
Carol Haynes
Waffles for England (patent pending)
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: June 02, 2012, 10:54:23 AM »

Finally got the thing working - had to buy another USB keyboard and a USB powered hub. Very limited power ability for the USB ports. Don't know about cheap computing all the accessories you need really work out quite expensive!

Anyway I setup the preferred Debian Linux on an SDHC card and it boots. I login and type StartX and get to a desktop.

All good except:

1) There is no RTC on the board so the time and date are wrong - how the heck do you set the time and date?

2) Can't find anywhere to setup connection details and consequently I can't connect to the internet. How do I specify my DHCP server/DNS server in Debian? I did notice it aquired and IP address during the LInux boot (192.168.1.24) but when I run a browser it can't resolve the addresses of websites so I presume I need to manually specify a DNS server.

Not exactly lacking frustration - though it does look pretty with its flashing lights!

tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 03:41:57 PM »

Not exactly lacking frustration - though it does look pretty with its flashing lights!

some compensation smiley

Tom
ewemoa
Honorary Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 10:04:19 PM »

Which Debian are you using (squeeze, wheezy, sid, or something else?) and what is the content of your /etc/resolv.conf?
4wd
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 12:01:24 AM »

1) There is no RTC on the board so the time and date are wrong - how the heck do you set the time and date?

Perhaps grab one of the many Arduino I2C RTC modules, (like this one on ebay), and interface it to the GPIO?

If nothing else, it'll be an opportunity to enhance your programming skills smiley

Four wheel drive: Helping you get stuck faster, harder, further from help...........and it's no different on this forum Evil
Carol Haynes
Waffles for England (patent pending)
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 07:01:34 AM »

Sorted - for some reason it detected my DNS server on 192.168.1.2 (which is correct) but didn't actually seem able to use it. Strange because it works on all my other computers whether they are workgroup or domain based. I just added another DNS 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS service) and it works fine.

Once connected with a working DNS it automatically grabs real time from the internet so no RTC required after all.

Not sure how it knows I am in the UK though ???

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.036s | Server load: 0.07 ]