topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 24, 2024, 4:30 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Windows 8 Release Preview Available  (Read 2218 times)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Windows 8 Release Preview Available
« on: June 01, 2012, 07:39 AM »
The Window 8 Release Preview has been released and is currently available on the MSDN

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 8 Release Preview Available
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 07:19 PM »
For what it's worth.
-They're bragging that IE10 which will tell sites that you don't want to tracked (by default).
This feature already exists as an option in Firefox for quite some time now and others probably have similar options or extensions for that too.

-Touch screen feature?
Well, working on a notebook with separate keyboard, i'm not really interested at pointing my fingers to the screen.
Although some are probably doing already that... hum! hum!

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 8 Release Preview Available
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 08:35 PM »
From what I have read there doesn't seem to be any visible changes to the legacy desktop.

The main differences since the Consumer Preview seems to be in Metro with lots of new and improved Metro apps and a few tweaks to navigation and multiple screen support.

Not sure if I am going to bother downloading though I suppose I will have to install it on at least one computer as I will have to support customers that get lumbered with it on new computers :(

The one positive point is that Windows 8 seems to be better optimised and apparently faster than Windows 7 - but to be fair everyone always says that when a new OS is released - give it six months and everyone will be saying why is my computer so slow again.

The one big criticism (apart from the obvious stuff) is that there doesn't seem to be any emphasis in Metro on getting actual work done!!