ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

BookmarkQ: share pages with sections highlighted

(1/1)

ewemoa:
I've often wanted to share some specific bit from a web page without duplicating the content and yet making it easy for a recipient to perceive which bit I wanted to indicate -- BookmarkQ offers one approach via a bookmarklet (no account required).

Here's a sample:

http://bquot.com/cqg

A rough usage summary:

* Navigate to a page with some content to share (non-frame stuff might work better)
* Click on the BookmarkQ bookmarklet (dragged to the Bookmark toolbar as part of set up)
* Wait a bit for the content to redisplay
* Highlight some text
* Click on the BookmarkQ bookmarklet again -- page should redisplay with selected text highlighted in yellow
* Mouse over the selected area -- should cause a popup to appear with URL to share
* Copy URL and share as desired
The description may make it sound like it's more complex than it actually is ;)

Note that this approach may be letting a 3rd party know that a page is being shared and specifically what on that page is of interest.

Thanks to mouser for pointing me at the freewaregenius article:

Highlight specific content on a web page to share with others, with InFocus

The article covers a different service, but that appeared to require Flash (which wasn't in the environment I was using when I took a look), but a commenter mentioned BookmarkQ -- so thanks to that commenter too :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version