topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 2:51 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: HowTo save an entire google "20% preview" book?  (Read 5075 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
HowTo save an entire google "20% preview" book?
« on: May 30, 2012, 04:57 PM »
I am pursuing a subject, and need to read AND SAVE TO DESK some old Danish books, today only available via Google Books, and unfortunately only available "yellow"; meaning I can only save the first 20% ("preview") of each book. This will not do! I need all of each of them, and they are no longer for sale - I have not even been able to find used copies for sale. As far as I can see, Google Books is my only option. Have 'you' heard of a desktop ebook downloader that will bypass the 20% limit, or will/did Google maybe strangle any such?
 :tellme:

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: HowTo save an entire google "20% preview" book?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 06:11 PM »
I've looked for this also in the past.  Found nothing.  Very frustrating for me.  Search and see if there are any pdf copies lying around anywhere.  I've also been able to buy rare books and take them to printer buddies of mine who have professional machines to scan this stuff.  The latest one I did was Animal bedtime Stories, which are awesome and a favorite of mine when I was a kid.  If anyone wants a copy, let me know.  Beautiful stories and beautiful illustrations.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 07:07 PM »
I have had no luck with doing this sort of thing so far, and would be interested in knowing of any workarounds.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 08:22 PM »
I #guess# a workaround would have to deal with some 'temp' folder, because the GooReader download meter will always claim it is downloading ALL of the book - even though the reader only will let you display the first 20 percentage. But the rest may of course be scrambled.
:tellme:

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 09:01 AM »
You might try searching at scribd.com. They often have full books there submitted (not quite legally though) by members. However there's no more free lunch there; they don’t mention any charges until you click on the "Download" button. Then they offer up their pricing structure. If you can find a few that you want you can subscribe for one month at $9... something. (Can't remember the cents listed!). BUT you probably have to enter your credit card number and then remember to cancel.

Jim