ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

which programming/scripting language has the largest number of functions?

<< < (2/3) > >>

4wd:
- Do you mean you want the resultant executable to contain data as a resource within the executable?
yes
-kalos (May 31, 2012, 07:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

This you can do with AutoIt, (I've done it), although I don't know exactly how big a resource you can embed.

- static (the data will not be changed after compilation) or variable (self-modifying executable)?
variable

--- End quote ---

This will be very hard to do using AutoIt - I don't think anyone over on the forums has done it.  The only way I can think of without recompiling each time is to directly write the changed data into a copy of the original executable but that means you'll be stuck with a fixed data size, (and who knows what else needs to be taken care of - beyond my knowledge).

The only other way of doing it that I can think of is a self-modifying, self-extracting archive which should be possible using 7zip, WinRAR, WinZIP, etc.

Is there a specific reason why the data has to be embedded within the executable?

kalos:

Is there a specific reason why the data has to be embedded within the executable?

-4wd (May 31, 2012, 09:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

for archiving, portability, flexibility, availability, etc purposes

the documents (files) should always accompany the executable and should be immediately available

4wd:
the documents (files) should always accompany the executable and should be immediately available-kalos (May 31, 2012, 02:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think your best choices are either a self-repacking archive or just having the files in the same directory.

For the archive you make it self-extracting with a batch file that runs following extraction that will run your program, wait until it closes, then repack the archive with changed data.

That's the easiest way I can see of doing it but someone else probably has a better idea.

Stoic Joker:
the documents (files) should always accompany the executable and should be immediately available-kalos (May 31, 2012, 02:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think your best choices are either a self-repacking archive or just having the files in the same directory.
-4wd (May 31, 2012, 09:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1 - f0dder did a great job with the self editing password storage utility fskrit, but... It requires some rather tricky shenanigans with the temp folder to pull off. I really don't think that it would be safe - which he also expressed - for a complex data storage application.

The OTF unpack/repack sounds good, but it also mandates a pristine exit to avoid data loss (eek!).

Same directory storage would also allow for much more flexible development options as you wouldn't be tied to something that offered low level system code access.

4wd:
The OTF unpack/repack sounds good, but it also mandates a pristine exit to avoid data loss (eek!).-Stoic Joker (June 01, 2012, 09:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

I wasn't going to mention that aspect because there's absolutely no way to guard against it - it's just part and parcel with the whole 'self-contained' thing.

You could bundle up the executable and it's dependant files using something like Cameyo but having your data separate in the same directory is a much better option than bundling it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version