ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Preparing for the inevitable

(1/5) > >>

Josh:
First, let me start off this thread by stating that NO, I am not having bad thoughts.

What I am looking for is a website that can help you keep all necessary information in one place for loved ones should the inevitable occur. There are different websites that all list different items that you should keep records of. The issue I have is, putting it all in one place.

I want to be able to give my family a "one stop shop" to go to in the event that something occurs. Storing things like account numbers, scheduled payments, scanned copies of important documents, a password vault (I've seen several topics discussing this on doco at one point or another. Things focused on are what happens to your digital life when your physical life ends, passwords, etc.)

Can anyone recommend an ESTABLISHED service that provides these services? I would rather not jump onto a new player just to spend a lot of time and have the service shut down, as I've seen with a few of these like the old iDeparted. A big name would be nice, one that has some backing across the world.

Any thoughts?

Josh

AGAIN, This is for planning only. The only time I think negative thoughts is when on IRC engaging a particular admin ;-)

Paul Keith:
Isn't that what Evernote has marketed themselves to? (The Pro version)

Idk of an established service though but if I died today, most of my personal stuff would be found in Dropbox and Lastpass. Workflowy Pro Version also has Dropbox support but that's just a site for lists.

I didn't even know of IDeparted before you mentioned it. Sounds too insecure.

eleman:
I use Gmail for that. I send all such numbers, passwords etc. to myself, and archive them with a specific label.

Wifey knows the password, so hopefully, we will not die in the same plane crash  :'(

I know, this is less than what you had in mind, but it is practical.

Something with Gmail though, is annoying. I had an attached word document on my Gmail account. It was heavy on macros. Yesterday when I needed to access it, Gmail claimed that it contained a virus, and barred me from accessing it. I couldn't download it. I couldn't forward it to another account. I could do nothing (didn't try pop3/imap option though).

That's far from ideal. Store something in your account, and one day, out of nowhere, it will be infected if Google needs it to be.

mouser:
AGAIN, This is for planning only. The only time I think negative thoughts is when on IRC engaging a particular admin ;-)
--- End quote ---

I saw what you did there.

Josh:
--- End quote ---

I saw what you did there.
-mouser (May 30, 2012, 04:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

I knew you would :) And that was your 29000th post!

But yes, I have considered tools like evernote or gmail for this task, but really, those do not seem on par with what I hope to achieve.

I am hoping for a site/service that offers a list of what are the most critical documents to store, allows digital storage of them, and also offers areas to keep passwords, account info, etc.

Off for more Googling!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version