ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Preparing for the inevitable

<< < (2/5) > >>

Paul Keith:
Could you elaborate on what you mean by "the most critical documents to store"?

Surely for passwords, something like Lastpass' recently used category in conjunction with the favorites section would help in that and the event details in the web interface of Dropbox would tell your loved ones which files you edited/most tweaked?

As far as linking them all into one place, there's probably a myriad of tweaks you can achieve with ifttt.com especially in conjunction with some of the date & time and gcalendar services. There's also Boxcar integration which I haven't tried.

Barring things like Mint.com, it would seem unlikely that you yourself wouldn't know what items you want to leave behind for your family.

Josh:
Could you elaborate on what you mean by "the most critical documents to store"?

Surely for passwords, something like Lastpass' recently used category in conjunction with the favorites section would help in that and the event details in the web interface of Dropbox would tell your loved ones which files you edited/most tweaked?

As far as linking them all into one place, there's probably a myriad of tweaks you can achieve with ifttt.com especially in conjunction with some of the date & time and gcalendar services. There's also Boxcar integration which I haven't tried.

Barring things like Mint.com, it would seem unlikely that you yourself wouldn't know what items you want to leave behind for your family.
-Paul Keith (May 30, 2012, 05:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

When I die, I want to ensure that all documents are available to my wife to ensure the follow-on processes are easy for her to handle. That said, I've read stories of people being given the run around because they don't have X, Y or Z document.

I know what I CONSIDER important for her to have, but I also do not want to overburden her with too much info that she has to sort through when trying to handle a life insurance claim, arrange services, getting debt paid off or other issues handled.

Dunno, maybe I am just over thinking this.

Paul Keith:
Nah, that sounds like a more specific version of the problems plaguing personal information management in general.

If that's the problem, wouldn't it be more simple to print out an e-book/paper table of contents/draw them a map stating which service they should head on to if x problems arise?

This is too expensive for your needs but by chance would something like Goalscape Connect's interface help your wife?

TaoPhoenix:

I saw what you did there.
-mouser (May 30, 2012, 04:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

I knew you would :) And that was your 29000th post!
[/quote]

Heh thanks Josh - this has been bugging me for a week now, and last night it was sitting at 28,999!

And Go Mouser!

IainB:
When I die, I want to ensure that all documents are available...
-Josh (May 30, 2012, 05:37 AM)
--- End quote ---
Planning ahead for the event is a rational idea, but have you also considered your needs after the event? How are you to access these documents?
I think that, by definition, you would have to be considering some kind of Cloud-based storage, search and retrieval service, but currently no-one seems to offer an ethereal kind of Cloud service. Well, I have googled it, and came up with a blank, anyway.    ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version