ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Cintanotes at Bitsdujour (soon!)

(1/2) > >>

dantheman:
A little bird told me that Cintanotes is going to be on special at Bitsdujour pretty soon.
http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/cintanotes/
I found the initial price to be a very good deal (to not say "giveaway").
Apparently they will be increasing to $25 next time around.

flamerz:
25? wow.. with a yearly renew cintanotes will be pricey  :-\

dantheman:
Well, it depends on what new features come with it.
At this time of the game, i wouldn't imagine it more than $14.95

highend01:
Mh, there is Evernote. Free (with a paid plan if you're a heavy user).
Why should I spend money for a note taking client that isn't even able to store pictures in a note? Hey, it's 2012, not 1990...

IainB:
It all depends on what you want Cintanotes for.

Cintanotes is described on its site as:
A free, lightweight and user-friendly note taking application

--- End quote ---
(Which confuses me - why the paid licence then?)

If all you need is a note-taking tool, then it is one of many such tools.
I just checked for reference re Cintanotes on the discussion thread(s) at OutlinerSoftware.com for reference to Cintanotes, and on the crowd-sourced list maintained at EditGrid.
I updated the EditGrid list to include Cintanotes and that version reference and date (v1.6.1, 2012-04-24).

From what I found after evaluating Cintanotes some time back, it was a reasonably useful tool for note-taking (what it was designed for), but the current version being unable to incorporate images would seem to be an increasingly severe limitation for such applications in this day and age. The invention of the iPad has probably forced this into the public awareness.
@highend01 makes a similar point in a comparison with Evernote, in his comment mediately above.

For example, the mandatory (must-have) requirements that I currently place on PIMs (Personal Information Management tools) include:

* the ability to flexibly incorporate RTF, HTML and images.
* the ability to treat any text in those images as OCRed and searchable data.
The only desktop tool that I have so far encountered (and I've looked at all of those in the EditPad list, and some others not on the list) that meets these 2 criteria is Microsoft's OneNote. As regards OCR, OneNote makes a seriously good job of capturing text from any image with text in it, and immediately and intelligently incorporates that text into searches.

You can also select any image in OneNote and copy all text in the image to the Clipboard, to see the OCR'd data (which may have some unavoidable OCR scan errors in it). I now tend to photograph or scan important receipts, and sling them into OneNotes, so I can dispose of the paper. My primary record thus becomes the image, and I must have the capability to locate them by searching on the text they contain.

I think Evernote is the only cloud service that does the same (OCR text capture and search) for images. They probably know that this is currently a major competitive differential feature, which is presumably why they have so far carefully avoided enabling that capability in their desktop tool.
I rarely use Evernote though, because it does not meet my requirements. I need a desktop tool, but full Evernote functionality currently necessitates that you remain cloud-dependent to some extent, and I do not want that. It is lock-in.

(By the way, Qiqqa - which is a superb document and reference management system - provides a free tool that gives excellent OCR text capture and search, on the desktop, with cloud storage service if you want it. The constraint there is that, currently, the OCRed images have to be contained in .PDF files, but there is presumably no technical reason why they could not extend that to image files in general.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version