ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Disk write cache (Windows XP)

(1/2) > >>

Giampy:
Hail!
The so called "Disk write cache" speeds up the system but I disabled it as certain data get lost if a power failure occors, even if we had performed a Save command.
Is there a way to keep that useful cache and contemporaneously to be sure that every Save command is effective?

vlastimil:
I fear the answer to your question is no. You either wait for the write operation to finish and then you are sure that the data really is on the disk or you let the system write the data a few moments later and have a better performance.

Getting a fast SSD would help  ;)

Ath:
And getting a battery backed power source helps even better :Thmbsup:

Giampy:
...or you let the system write the data a few moments later-vlastimil (May 27, 2012, 10:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's just the point: the system may not save data within a short time. Sometimes it takes even hours. At least two times I heard mprecations from two colleagues of mine when the power failed and they lost hours of job.

4wd:
That's just the point: the system may not save data within a short time. Sometimes it takes even hours. At least two times I heard mprecations from two colleagues of mine when the power failed and they lost hours of job.-Giampy (May 28, 2012, 07:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

That doesn't sound like the Disk Write Cache, that sounds more like they don't have a program that does auto-saves every x minutes, (or that they are not saving the data every so often).

You can go into the Device Manager->Disk Drives and then right-click to open the Properties window for each drive, then go to the Policies tab and turn off Enable write caching on the disk.

This will at least enable you to test whether data is still lost after a few hours - if it is, then you have another problem.

You should also check the Event Log for any disk related errors or warnings, (eg. Delayed Write Fail).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version