topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:18 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi ...  (Read 3563 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Raspberry Pi ...
« on: May 26, 2012, 04:28 PM »
Got my Raspberry Pi this morning. Not sure what I am going to do with it but it looks like a bit of fun.

I was a bit surprised to see it arrive with absolutely no documentation - not even a single side of A5 with a diagram explaining the ports. Most are obvious but there are a couple of ribbon headers on the board which look interesting - off to the forums to see if anyone can enlighten me further.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Raspberry Pi ...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 08:56 PM »
I'm on the list for mine, got an email saying the first 4000 people can order theirs - unfortunately I wasn't included  :(

Ribbon header is for GPIO, (General Purpose Input/Output), like the Arduino - so you can hook up sensors, switches, etc.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 08:08 AM »
There is a second single row of pins that don't seem to be documented at all - they don't even appear on the circuit layout on the website.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 02:34 AM »
There's the double row header connection which is the GPIO and there is also two rows for JTAGw communication.

The JTAG is used for test access, hardware/firmware debugging and firmware loading - not something the average user of the board will be doing.

691px-Raspberrypi_pcb_overview_v03.svg.png
Pic from Wikipedia.

On the schematics for the Rev.B, one row is used for the LAN controller, (connector P3, sheet 2, ref A4), and the other is for the CPU/GPU and is connector P2, sheet 4, ref G2.

Unless you specifically want to bang the hardware directly, there's not much point in worrying about them.

On a side note, the choices are hotting up: Raspberry Pi faces challenge from Android-based rivals
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 02:44 AM by 4wd, Reason: DUH! It says CPU/GPU on the pic.... »