ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Visual Studio 11 Express to only build Metro apps

(1/7) > >>

Jibz:
Via Hacker News

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/24/microsoft-pulling-free-development-tools-for-windows-8-desktop-apps/

Microsoft has instituted a big change with its free Visual Studio 11 Express suite that's leaving some current- and soon-to-be Windows 8 developers up in arms: it's pulling support for creating anything but Metro-native apps.
--- End quote ---

This is a mistake imho. The amount of money they will make from people who want to build native apps is minimal, and compare that to the goodwill from, and benefits of, having developers use their tools.

Renegade:
Meh... VS 2010 is lots good enough. And actually, VS 2005 was good enough.

And besides, who would actually want to pay for an IDE to write Metro apps? :P

Carol Haynes:
I can see that being another nail in the coffin for Metro - why would anyone want to use VS to only write Metro apps?

Can you actually run Metro apps on your own computer - I thought the only place you could install them was via MS AppStore and since you can't write commercial software using the Express IDE how can you submit it to the store?

justice:
Not a big problem, any serious developer writing a windows desktop app will have no problem paying for Visual Studio.
If the philosophy is that the future is metro, people starting out now should write for metro.

If that is the case then, why not split it into Windows Metro and remove the whole desktop part of it, with Windows 8 Enterprise that has desktop only.

Renegade:
Not a big problem, any serious developer writing a windows desktop app will have no problem paying for Visual Studio.
If the philosophy is that the future is metro, people starting out now should write for metro.

If that is the case then, why not split it into Windows Metro and remove the whole desktop part of it, with Windows 8 Enterprise that has desktop only.
-justice (May 25, 2012, 04:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm of the philosophy that Metro will be shoved down everyone's throat. ;D :P (That is to say, you're probably right!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version