topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Just posting this here in case someone has any further idea to add  (Read 4130 times)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The info on this quote is nothing new but I'm just throwing this out in case anyone's organization system have resolved some of this. Emphasis on the formatted texts.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dataspaces

Personal Information Management

The goal of Personal Information Management is to offer easy access and manipulation of all of the information on a person’s desktop, with possible extension to mobile devices, personal information on the Web, or even all the information accessed during a person’s lifetime. Recent desktop search tools are an important first step for PIM, but are limited to keyword queries. Our desktops typically contain some structured data (e.g., spreadsheets) and there are important associations between disparate items on the desktop. Hence, the next step for PIM is to allow the user to search the desktop in more meaningful ways. For example, “find the list of juniors who took my database course last quarter,” or “compute the aggregate balance of my bank accounts.” We would also like to search by association, e.g., “find the email that John sent me the day I came back from Hawaii,” or “retrieve the experiment files associated with my SIGMOD paper this year.” Finally, we would like to query about sources, e.g., “find all the papers where I acknowledged a particular grant,” “find all the experiments run by a particular student,” or “find all spreadsheets that have a variance column.”

The principles of dataspaces in play in this example are that
a PIM tool must enable accessing all the information on the desktop, and not just an explicitly or implicitly chosen subset, and while PIM often involves integrating data from multiple sources, we cannot assume users will invest the time to integrate. Instead, most of the time the system will have to provide best-effort results, and tighter integrations will be created only in cases where the benefits will clearly outweigh the investment.

Ideally something that doesn't require a new software to be implemented (unless that software already exists and is usable for anyone).

I'd also like to add that to help the last bolded text on integration, the ideas must contain some form of disorganized/organized chaos functionality like a contingency setup that can be done in an emergency.

Finally, any idea even non-software would be appreciated. I just want to compare the ideas to the idea of a personal productivity guide I'm writing and the contents of those ideas don't all include software and even starts off with paper.