ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Firm pitches $2,800 64GB USB Flash disk

<< < (3/4) > >>

nudone:
i've seen a few usb memory sticks just die for no apparent reason - a couple were less than a month old and one was a corsair, so it all looks a bit dodgy to me.

brotherS:
a further limitation is the fact that flash memory has a finite number of erase-write cycles (most commercially available EEPROM products are guaranteed to withstand 10^6 programming cycles,)
-mrainey (April 07, 2006, 08:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

How can companies (eg. Lexar) offer no quibble lifetime warranties on their Pro products if the item has a limited lifespan?
-Carol Haynes (April 07, 2006, 08:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
That's easy: by the time the product dies (average lifespan, average customer), it will cost the company virtually nothing to replace it for you - and most will have moved to better and bigger products anyway.

If you now buy a 512 MB USB stick, you'll probably laugh about its size in 3 years - long before it stopps working.

jgpaiva:
If you now buy a 512 MB USB stick, you'll probably laugh about its size in 3 years - long before it stopps working.
-brotherS (April 07, 2006, 09:20 AM)
--- End quote ---
Good point. Although.. If you still use it, you'd think "statistics are a bi..."

Carol Haynes:
True but there must be a physical limit on what can be crammed into a Flash disk - and I don't think 64Gb is going to be topped for a while!

allen:
According to this, BitMicro has a 155 gig in the works.

I'd read an article somewhere on the lifespan of a USB drive -- and basically what it came down to was with normal usage, there's a very good chance it will outlive your harddrive -- and potentially  you. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version