ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

WTH, part Deu... Steam IS coming to Linux!

(1/2) > >>

Edvard:
I realize I'm a little late reporting this (as of April 25) but...
As I lamented here, the head honchos at Steam/Valve announced flatly they wouldn't be supporting Linux.

What's that I hear?  Seems someone's tune has changed...

At long last, Valve has confirmed that Linux ports of both Steam and the Source engine are in active development, and should be released later this year. These are native solutions that run directly on Linux, without any kind of Wine-like emulation. Left 4 Dead 2 will be the first Source-based title on Linux, but once the engine has been successfully ported other AAA games will surely follow.

--- End quote ---

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/127475-valve-confirms-steam-and-source-for-linux-signals-low-confidence-for-windows-8

OOOHHH!! REAL PORTS, NOT WINE HACKS!! I'm as giddy as a school girl with a new iPhone!!  ;D

Perhaps they saw the writing on the wall with the advent of competing content-delivery platforms like Desura (Windows/Mac/Linux) and Gameolith (all-Linux) or maybe they finally woke up the the statistics the HIB's were showing about how much money Linux gamers were willing to spend, who knows?

Either way... it's about damn time.  :Thmbsup:

Carol Haynes:
Saw this a while back - be interesting to see which distros they support 'cos I can't see it being open source to be compiled on any distro?

4wd:
They're probably anticipating the downfall and mad rush away from Windows 8  :lol:

KynloStephen66515:
Saw this a while back - be interesting to see which distros they support 'cos I can't see it being open source to be compiled on any distro?
-Carol Haynes (May 23, 2012, 06:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Probably just Debian and Ubuntu

Carol Haynes:
Gabe Newell has already trashed Windows 8 in the press!

Interesting if Left4Dead is going to be the first port to Linux - why wouldn't they choose some of there most recent games first?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version