topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:22 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows Aero (transparent window borders, etc.) is dead.. Good riddance  (Read 25777 times)

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think the real reason MS want to dump Aero is so that Metro doesn't look completely pants (it still does in my opinion but if you have a nice looking desktop it actually makes Metro look even worse).

What carol said. I like AERO interface and it is the only thing that makes windows eye candy. Metro tiles reminds me of kanji matching tiles game. Also agree with MS FAIL for the big ribbon toolbars with useless buttons.

Microsoft: One step ahead and four steps back.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Select "Border Padding" from the dropdown menu to change the width.

Thanks! I was just clicking on the border and it was selecting "Active Window Border" for me.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
+1 for Aero fans  :-[
My son has W7 on his laptop, and I used it at my former job, and I found aero to be rather fetching...:-[
What I found strange, was that turning all the effects off had a negative effect; that is, turning off menu animations and such made everything seem jerky and slow.
However, I do wish these new-fangled theming engines at least had Classic's ability to change the button size. :-*
Now THAT would be an improvement by going backward.

... I had to make my own theme to get the size buttons I wanted in Xfce on Linux, so the penguinistas are not immune, either...  :-[

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Late to the party.  I finally got a usable Aero look on W8.  The window borders aren't as pretty as Vista and W7 but it's still better than W8 drab.  Now I can turn the colors back on my hotkey tray utilities without them looking totally lame.

Edit: If you set it too transparent then caption bar will be totally clear.  It's just too weird to get the mouse on it then.  Other programs like Pale Moon, the caption bar is more transparent than what is shown here.  Edit: tweaked it with a bit more transparency and a bit less blur.

Capture2.PNG
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 05:47 PM by MilesAhead »