ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is Linux just a hobby?

<< < (34/36) > >>

mahesh2k:
Ubuntu has gnome shell (unity) which uses nautilus, KDE uses konqueror and XFCE is on thunar. All these are installed with your distro. I think if you want two pane file managers then you have lots of choices. Some are ugly in UI but still powerful.

superboyac:
Also, since I have some more time now, here's the two largest problems I believe stomped you:
1 - directories in unix are case sensitive ("Downloads" and not "downloads" ;) )
2 - you were missing some dependencies. In particular, your distribution runs the Gnomew window manager, and the program you tried to install needs KDEw. This is a common problem, but had you used some package manager instead of installing from source and you wouldn't have this problem.

Also, there's a third way to install stuff (which is mostly painless) that you haven't tried (which is the one that is equivalent to installing stuff in Windows): downloading compiled binaries and installing them using a package manager ("apt-get" or "aptitude", for example). An example of this is Opera.
-jgpaiva (July 24, 2012, 04:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
Perhaps I'll have to explore these methods in the next video.  I want to learn how to install ANY Linux-comaptible program I come across into whatever distro I'm using.  I'm sure that means a fair amount of compiling and other stuff in the terminal, so that's the goal. 

jgpaiva:
Perhaps I'll have to explore these methods in the next video.  I want to learn how to install ANY Linux-comaptible program I come across into whatever distro I'm using.  I'm sure that means a fair amount of compiling and other stuff in the terminal, so that's the goal. 
-superboyac (July 24, 2012, 05:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'm not sure if that's the right way to go about it. Honestly, the "app store" (or whatever it is) method works pretty well for 90% of the cases. The "install from binary" method works for 9.9% of the cases. And then from the remaining 0.1%, 90% works after some "./configure && make install" voodoo. However, I imagine there are hundreds of different and specific ways to install stuff in the 0.01% remaining, which realistically you'll never need unless you require some very specific tool.
What I'm saying is: start with the basics and learn lazily, have fun using linux instead of trying to learn every single manual page because that'll kill your experience for no reason.

So, next time you try to install something in linux from a web site, search for the binaries (if you really want to not use the "app store" :P ). Since you're using something based on debian, you should be able to find the binaries for pretty much anything. For Krusader, the instructions were here: http://www.krusader.org/get-krusader/

DISCLAIMER: all statistics in this post were made up on the spot, based on my own experience. YMMV

superboyac:
So maybe the next video should be me exploring the different ways to install stuff.  I'd be interested in the one application that wasn't in the software manager, and then figuring out the different ways to get it to run.

mahesh2k:
.tar.bz, .gzip, type of files works on all distributions and you have to use respective terminal command to install from source.

.deb is debian distro specific file format and you have to use apt-get -i to install them. You're using mint which is under debians branch. That means you can compile this format on distro.

Another option- install gdebi and then use any format supported by debian to install software.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version